Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2011, 03:19 AM

Default pro tools licens bound?

Im considering to buy a mbox2 micro with a serielnumber for pro tools 8.
I only want this piece couse of the pro tools licens, that i want to use with another mbox.

My question is just that i want to be sure that the program not are bound to a specifik mbox but can be used to all off them there are supported by the software.

thanks, michael
Old 05-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Default Re: pro tools licens bound?

it'll work with any PTLE qualified device
Old 05-22-2011, 08:41 AM

However, if you did not receive the original software with the "other" MBox the transfer violated the license terms for PT.

You should have received all of the original disks, along with the disks for any paid upgrades.

Whether that bothers you is up to you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-22-2011, 08:48 AM

Rather a moot point, as he's buying a new Mbox Micro WITH PT 8 software.
So very much regardless of what did or didn't happen with some other sale, he can use the PT 8 software he's getting with the Micro with any device he sees fit, and on as many computers as he sees fit.
Period.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
However, if you did not receive the original software with the "other" MBox the transfer violated the license terms for PT.

You should have received all of the original disks, along with the disks for any paid upgrades.

Whether that bothers you is up to you...
That might be true if he's bought the Mbox at a swap meet out-of-box, with no installation disks and no manuals, he would have to buy Pro Tools 8 somehow. I htink Avid might authorise his device under those circumstances.

In 2005 I bought a Mac Pro Tools box which had PT 5 LE installed - This was before Avid took over, Digidesign had their own site. I had been given the install disks, the manual, and the PT serial number.

Under the old Digidesign website, I was able to obtain an update to Pto Tools 6.4 which I was able to download right from Digidesign -Along with new iLok Drivers and they also gave me a special driver for my Windows XP machine that allowed me to run the Digi Audeo Engine as a basic "sound card" for the computer (Only problem I could only monitor one source at a time) They gave me a Pro Tools 6 serial number. I thought that was rather a cool thing Digidesign did, granting me a full update and allowing me to register my Digi 001 as a used item, they transfered ownership to me, and then I got all the updates I could until the Digi site was absorbed into Avid.

My account is still active in the Avid site, but Avid no longer recognises oldre digi hardware, so if you buy older gear, beware, when Avid stops web support for these things, they stop it compleatly - I hav4 not been able to find any reference to Pro Tools 6 on the new Avid site, it just directed me here.

This whole thing kind of saddens me, it is a thing that has been going on in Business for ages - When A New gadget is made, support for all the oldetr gadgets vanish. It is planned obsolescence, and what is vewry ironic, is my Digi 001 is in perfect shape, runs beautitifully, and I've done some great work on it - I suppose the HD systems do not get as obsoleted as the comsumer versions of their product.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Rather a moot point, as he's buying a new Mbox Micro WITH PT 8 software.
So very much regardless of what did or didn't happen with some other sale, he can use the PT 8 software he's getting with the Micro with any device he sees fit, and on as many computers as he sees fit.
Period.
Period.

I like that...so definitive...

Too bad it is not quite correct...

First, the Pro Tools transfer agreement requires the seller to give the software that came with the device, along with any paid upgrades purchased for use with that device.

So, while not really on point, if you buy a piece of Pro Tools hardware and the seller doesn't provide the software, there is a good possibility that somewhere down the line the hardware was stolen.

But on point, while you can install Pro Tools on as many computers as you want to, you can only use it on one computer at a time.

It is not uncommon for someone to have Pro Tools installed on both their desktop computer and their laptop, and to switch their hardware, often an MBox, between the two computers.

But when you throw a piece of hardware purchased without the software into the equation, it is a totally different matter.

But no matter what the circumstances, it would be a violation of the software license to use one piece of hardware connected to one computer and another piece of hardware connected to another computer at the same time with only one "legal" copy of Pro Tools.

I don't work for Avid, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do or not do.

All I am doing is pointing out the terms of the Pro Tools license; information readily available on the Avid web site...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM

ejwells...I have noticed that you often have equipment to sell, in fact you've had a couple of items I've wanted to buy but couldn't come up with the money at the time.

The point being, you have a dog in this hunt; I don't.

All I'm doing is posting the information that is on the software license and on the Avid web site.

I've never seen you selling any Pro Tools hardware without the software, but you never know what you might run across, so it would be in your best interests to have potential buyers "not sweat the small stuff".

I'm quoting Avid; you haven't been able to produce any information from Avid contradicting what I've posted.

But I've posted accurate information...caveat emptor...

As I have noted on another thread, I don't really think Avid is going to send jack-booted thugs to bust somebody who sold an 8-year old MBox without the software.

But everyone needs to keep in mind that in order to continue to receive protection for patents, copyrights, and other intellectual property, the owners of those protected items must aggressively move against anyone infringing on their rights.

Because of this, it may be necessary at some point in the future for Avid to "make an example" of some folks.

So, anyone can do whatever they choose to do, but they need to be aware of the consequences...

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Bill, dude... relax.

This isn't a legal debate. The OP simply asked if he can buy another piece of hardware and still use the same software.

There's no implication of stolen hardware or software. While the official transfer of ownership may state that its required to supply all applicable software... it's nothing to do with Avid. All it means is that Avid is covering their own ass so the don't have to supply a new to disk to someone who bought a second hand MBox. There is no legal case here, and no one is going to get in trouble or get attacked by Avid. There are no consequences for this transaction since there is no proof of anything being stolen. The OP isn't even asking if he is entitled to a free copy of PT8.

Can he use a PT8 disk from a MBox Micro for another MBox? Yes. That's it. It's not illegal, and Avid won't frown upon it.

Sometimes you derive a bit too much from a simple question.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 AM

Can he use a PT8 disk from a MBox Micro for another MBox?

He can, and he can have PT on two computers.

But he cannot have PT running on more than one computer at a time without violating the software license terms...

Bill in Pittsburgh