Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 PM

Default Waves UM225 or TC UnWraper?

any recommendation?
besides being able to download the demos I would like to hear your opinions
thanks in advance
Old 08-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Waves UM225 or TC UnWraper?

I haven't heard the Waves version, but do have UnWrap on our TC System 6000 and LOVE IT. It is SO adjustable you can do anything with it, including LFE/Bass Management. I know it's not the same as the software version, but the algorithm is identical and does sound awfully good. We're planning on ordering the SW version just to install on one of our post systems away from the 6000.

You're right, demo/day-rentals are available from either source.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Seaberg View Post
I know it's not the same as the software version
I haven't noticed any differences - what are they?
Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 PM

What I meant was the 'software' isn't going to work like the 'hardware' version because I have a hardware controller. I'm sure it sounds identical (didn't I say that).
Old 08-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
I haven't noticed any differences - what are they?
I might be wrong about this but I think there is one difference. The hardware includes a center channel control that operates kind of like divergence, I am not in front of my system so I don't recall how the control is labeled. It affects how much of the center channel information is spread across L&R. There was a thread here a couple years ago that led me to believe that control is not available in the software.

I have not used the software, not even downloaded a demo, because I've got hardware and never needed to, so maybe the control is in both.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:14 AM

I know this - the UM226 is a GREAT DEAL cheaper than the alternative, and works really well
Old 08-31-2009, 07:38 AM

I use UnWrap pretty often and like it. It's nicely tweakable. I bought it 2nd hand, and if you have the time to wait for a good opportunity, it's definitly worth it.

As I am not using waves plug-ins I cannot say anything about the UM225/226. If you are using waves, you may try these as well.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 AM

I've tried both plug ins. TC unwrap wins hands down in my book. The unwrapped music folds down very well back into stereo which is key. On the other hand. I use Waves 360 because the I don't have the budget yet to buy the Unwrap.
Best,
Brandon
Old 08-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
I might be wrong about this but I think there is one difference. The hardware includes a center channel control that operates kind of like divergence, I am not in front of my system so I don't recall how the control is labeled. It affects how much of the center channel information is spread across L&R. There was a thread here a couple years ago that led me to believe that control is not available in the software.
This is kind of in the software as well, although it's (badly) labeled as L-R Processing. At least when I asked tech support how to get no center channel they suggested L-R Processing set to 0, Center channel output set to 0.

What I'd really like is a control that somehow allowed me to automate both simultaneously.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
This is kind of in the software as well, although it's (badly) labeled as L-R Processing.
Yes, that's the control I am thinking of. It is labeled the same in TC6000, good or bad.

So maybe hardware and software ARE the same.