Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 06:44 PM

Default Re: Protools 11 has put an end to my use of Protools

As I was saying about smug, condescending attitudes and posts here....
Old 06-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelco83 View Post
This is the computer industry and off the top of my head can't think of one major launch that didn't have issues. Perhaps some have unrealistic expectations, be that as it may, the forums are important to people wanting to see whats up before they jump in to the madness. The trial is also a good way to familiarize one's self with the new tools. The tech industry is one of the fastest forward moving industries, and to be willfully ignorant will only cost you as those with an open mind willing to accept the shortcomings of humanity will reap the most benefit.
We have a test studio for new software, but we do not just upgrade our production hardware willy nilly. We have our own QC and our own personal standards must be met. But to completely ignore the update, wow. We would be so behind!
I don't actually think I ever said "totally ignore the update" I believe I said that I would buy the update when it was more stable and the plugins I am concerned about will be running on it. I simply pointed out that it is a new program, so problems will be present because it is new. I don't even blame Avid for releasing it, the anticipation was huge...they HAD to release it, Pro Tools expert even commented that Avid passed 2 release dates trying to get it stable and right. All of that said, Avid has a new program that is shaky out the gate, some good reports some bad reports, minimal plugins working on it at the moment...Avid, all Avid support companies, videos on YouTube, forum information, facebook postings from Avid, Pro Tools expert information...then some guy with his nose in the air because he was too stupid to pay attention to the warning sign that he was not suppose to dive into the shallow end of the pool comes on here and gives the finger to Avid, that's horse [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. People need to hear it sometimes that they are morons.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGotPaid View Post
There's a lot of smug, condescending replies here to a guy simply wanting his paid-for-stuff to work without him having to be a sound engineer and a computer tech to figure it out. I surely hope no one here is saying that NONE of this fiasco was due to flaws in PT 11 or iLok, or that everything is user error.

I'm back to PT 10. I don't attempt to be a computer tech or a pro sound engineer, but I know a lot of people in Nashville who are. They all think PT 11 is so buggy now that it's best to avoid it until all this AND the iLok mess has been solved.

Clearly they are right on both counts. PT 11 has been a nightmare for a lot of people, and the iLok fiasco has been even worse. That's where the trouble starts. User error is not the core, fundamental problem. It starts with buggy software and a system (iLok) that's forced on everyone, no mater how much trouble it causes and how hated it is. iLok is loaded with bugs too.

Get the software on both right, and then you can talk about user errors.
I agree completely. The problems the original poster should never happen. Period. While I think he overreacted, I can't blame him for being upset. The people ridiculing him must be used to some very shoddy software releases. By comparison, I am a Samplitude user, and I've never had an upgrade cause any issues more significant than having to redo my configuration - which takes about 15 minutes. Blindly defending Avid for a problematic release only encourages more of the same.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
There's a lot of smug, condescending replies here to a guy simply wanting his paid-for-stuff to work without him having to be a sound engineer and a computer tech to figure it out. I surely hope no one here is saying that NONE of this fiasco was due to flaws in PT 11 or iLok, or that everything is user error.

I'm back to PT 10. I don't attempt to be a computer tech or a pro sound engineer, but I know a lot of people in Nashville who are. They all think PT 11 is so buggy now that it's best to avoid it until all this AND the iLok mess has been solved.

Clearly they are right on both counts. PT 11 has been a nightmare for a lot of people, and the iLok fiasco has been even worse. That's where the trouble starts. User error is not the core, fundamental problem. It starts with buggy software and a system (iLok) that's forced on everyone, no mater how much trouble it causes and how hated it is. iLok is loaded with bugs too.

Get the software on both right, and then you can talk about user errors.
I think the "user error" is in the fact that he didn't pay attention to the warning signs and everything everybody has been saying about it. Then when it didn't work the way he wanted he blames Avid for not telling him, then when someone points out that the writing was on the wall, he claimed to be better than everyone else cause he was too busy to see the writing on the wall. Can't get much more smug than that.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
I agree completely. The problems the original poster should never happen. Period. While I think he overreacted, I can't blame him for being upset. The people ridiculing him must be used to some very shoddy software releases. By comparison, I am a Samplitude user, and I've never had an upgrade cause any issues more significant than having to redo my configuration - which takes about 15 minutes. Blindly defending Avid for a problematic release only encourages more of the same.
Weird, your a Samplitude user, but you're trolling over here at the DUC to bash PT users cause some moron shot himself in the foot and blamed Smith and Wesson and the other users wanted to point out how much of an ass move that was. Avid released 11 under a lot of pressure, nobody pushed the user to buy it.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:06 PM

iILok surrender 10 license -> received 10/11 combo license : three minutes. I know a lot of people have struggled, but I got PT11 on Saturday and was up in about 2 hours after a couple of restarts and a permissions repair. Yeah, plugs aren't ready yet. Yeah, things could be better. But 11 AND 10 running flawlessly (or as flawlessly as can be expected, haha) in less than a couple of hours? Pretty good, AVID. pretty good.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Avid

Post Re: Protools 11 has put an end to my use of Protools

We don't blame him (or anyone else) for being upset. When you pay for something you expect it to work. Seems pretty reasonable.

There obviously were some problems, but we have tried to be as responsive as possible and get customers working as quick as we can. A number of folks (including us) jumped on this thread to help, and we have still not heard back from the OP as to whether the problem is solved (it looks like it from what we can see in his account).

-jc
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM

I use two DAW systems. The other one from PT just had a major new release too. I downloaded the new version, installed it in just a few minutes, and was up and running. I'm sure it has some bugs somewhere, but nothing major that I've experienced.

Their website did not go into a near meltdown over a new buggy program, loss of plugins, surrender of a previous license, inclusion of a buggy iLok, or anything else. And no obnoxious crybabies over there screaming "it's not the manufacturers fault, it's all YOUR fault." And none of my posts over there got deleted, like they do here.

I know there are some PTA's in lock step with whatever is presented to them, but I also know a lot of them are wrong on certain points, and many have never stepped outside the PT world to see how other people are doing it. There is other software out there that will record an album just as nicely as PT. Without an iLok.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Congrats to the people that use the "2 DAW" system, I use Logic along side of Pro Tools...Logic doesn't even need an eLicenser...I am using PT 10 with ilok 2 haven't even thought about upgrading to 11 since there are far too many issues going on, and wait for it.....WE'VE BEEN TOLD FOR MONTHS THAT THINGS WERE NOT GOING TO BE SMOOTH, WE WERE TOLD NOT A LOT OF PLUGINS WERE GOING TO BE AVAILABLE, LOTS OF INFO ABOUT ILOK HAVING PROBLEMS!! Ignore the signs, it's "your" own damn fault for getting screwed, how bout taking responsibility for that.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I know there are some PTA's in lock step with whatever is presented to them, but I also know a lot of them are wrong on certain points, and many have never stepped outside the PT world to see how other people are doing it. There is other software out there that will record an album just as nicely as PT. Without an iLok.

How do you"know" these things?

The point that I was trying to make with you, and you seem to miss it, is that you have complained because your expectations weren't met.

When I, (and others), learned that PT11 was coming I/we began looking at what it would take to run 11 properly... computers, software, etc.., and adjusted our situation accordingly. In other words, we informed ourselves and prepared. Our expectations were met, or mostly so, because we based them on fact, not on desire.

When the time came, we made/are making the transition with few, if any, hiccups. There are two areas that could have gone better..
1. The whole iLok fiasco. It didn't affect me and I used the new software right when it came out. Sadly, it didn't work for a lot of people.. However, that is a iLok issue, not Avid. Personally, I like iLok and have been a fan for years for a number of reasons... My 'affection' for them though has dimmed owing to the way all of this came about and has been dealt with. Poor planning by iLok on a grand scale I'd say.
2. Lack of plug-ins. Absolutely less than desired result here.. and aknowledged by everyone. Avid didn't even get some of their own plugs ready in time. Almost everyone else got caught with their britches around their ankles when Avid released a week earlier than anyone thought they would. Now, everyone is scrambling to get their plugs out. Add to that the changes in SDK's and it sure threw a spanner into the gearbox.

One thing I want to say about point two is that your complaint about your plugs not being wrapped for PT11 leads one to believe that you are using some VST's., which have never been stated to be supported in PT11. Avid has put the kibash on the Sugarbytes wrapper at least for now, so they are a no-go and always have been.

Could it have been handled better? Sure. but it doesn't take away from the fact that PT11 is a good bit of kit. It works well so far and I expect that it will improve as time goes along.

Lastly I want to point out one thing everyone (conveniently) overlooks when they make these claims, (such as yours).... Backups.

From the dawn of computer infancy Rule #1 has always been, and always will be, MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR WORKING SOFTWARE BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING. Rule #2 is Unless you have at least two/three copies of your backup, it aint backed up! (I fail miserably here). It doesn't matter if you are using the computer to create music, design graphics, play games, whatever. If it's a computer, something will always go wrong... (unless it's a mac of course)

Backups are a great way of getting going again without too much of an interruption to your schedule. The caveat to this was the iLok thing, but again, that's iLok not Avid.

You can choose to be offended, you can choose to ignore the good advice given here and elsewhere, you can choose to think us all automatons marching in lock-step.. But you will just miss out on good stuff all the way around.

I hope your issues get dealt with in a way that satisfies you...
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!