Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2011, 08:17 PM

Question Can't Hear Sound With Digi 192, Help Please

I have an HD2 system with Pro Tools 7.3 on a G5 tower. Everything seems to be running smoothly, an I even get a signal within Pro Tools showing it's picking up the sound.... But I can't hear anything. I get no sound from the speakers I'm using regular external PC speakers, I even tried the internal speakers an no luck. I wasn't sure if I needed some kind of external source or command center to run monitors to or something? Sorry I'm a little new at this, ANY help would be much appreciated, thanks.

I also have external Yamaha studio monitors and Command 8 but was wondering how to get sound from the digi 192 with them, and/or with the standard PC speakers.

Last edited by msevero; 11-24-2011 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Details
Old 11-24-2011, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Can't Hear Sound With Digi 192, Help Please

As your inputs into Pro Tools are through the 192, so must your outputs be. In your case, you need to use two of the outputs for monitoring purposes. I suggest outs 1&2. You'll need something to act as a volume knob between the 192 and the Yamaha studio monitors. The Command 8 has a monitoring section that will work perfectly for this. Patch outs 1&2 through the Command 8 and on to the speakers. Check the I/O setup in Pro Tools to make sure the routing is kosher and route your tracks to 1&2 for monitoring.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 11-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks, Top Jimmy! I'm just a bit confused on which cables I need to connect the 192 to the Command 8, then the Command 8 to the monitors. The back of the Command 8 has Midi outputs, so I'm assuming I need "midi to xlr, or 1/4"? But getting the 192 into the Command 8 is what is really stumping me now. BTW, thank you so much for the help! I am obviously brand new, and can't seem to find clear answers anywhere else. This has been very helpful.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msevero View Post
The back of the Command 8 has Midi outputs, so I'm assuming I need "midi to xlr, or 1/4"?
You must truly be confused if you totally overlooked the monitor inputs and outputs on the back of the Command 8.

To get the analog output from the 192, you'll need a DB25 breakout cable. You can go straight from DB25 to 1/4" TRS, or you can go DB25 to XLR-M, and then get two XLR-F to 1/4" TRS cables for patching into the main monitor inputs on the Command 8. Using an XLR breakout would facilitate future output patching needs a little better than TRS.

If your Yamaha speakers are powered, you'll need two 1/4" TRS to whatever cables for patching the Command 8 monitor outputs to the speakers. If your Yamaha speakers are not powered, you'll need an amp in between the Command 8 outs and the speakers.

Make sure whatever DB25 cable you get follows the Tascam standard and not Yamaha. Avid hardware DB25 pinouts are Tascam standard.

You'll need to connect the Command 8 via USB to use it in Pro Tools. Understand though that the monitoring section works independently from the PT control surface. You don't need to have USB connected to use the monitoring section. The MIDI ports give you MIDI I/O to and from Pro Tools.

Also know that Avid announced that support will be dropped for the Command 8 after Pro Tools 10. You will not be able to use it in Pro Tools 11. And, you won't be able to use the rest of your system beyond 10 either since support for the HD TDM systems and the 192 has been dropped too.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Ok, but all the DB25 breakout cable's to XLR M that I am finding have more than two XLR M, most have 8. Is this for monitoring through multiple monitors? I suppose all I would need to use is 2 and the rest would go unused? Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:22 PM

Yes, you would have 6 extra when buying an off the shelf breakout. These other outs could be used for surround monitoring, for foldback outs to the artist you are recording, or hardware outs when you want to use external analog gear.

If you know someone who can terminate, you could custom roll a DB25 plug with only the two outs for your current monitoring purposes.