Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Default playback cursor disappears when looping separate edit & timeline selections

to illustrate take a look at the 2 screengrabs.
both have separate edit & timeline selections (ES & TS) and
playback is set to loop.

the problem is that when the ES is earlier than the TS (pic A)
the playback cursor disappears whereas in the pic B situation
ie ES later than TS - it appears & behaves as you would expect.
Also PT forgets to loop the ES sometimes too and playback just
sails past the end of the ES so what's that about?
I am using the square bracket keys to switch between the ES & TS.

Is this supposed to happen or is it a glitch?
is there some other setting i am missing?
Does this happen on a mac or later versions of PT?

i am using PT LE 8.05 on win 7 64.
thanks.

edit:
in fact it seems the playback cursor needs a bit of encouragement to move across the screen
when using loop playback generally eg stopping playback and re-starting can get it moving again.
i haven't tested it with fully with markers yet. has nobody using LE on windows encountered
this glitch before ? maybe its a graphics card thing but i've never had a problem
like this in any other daw.

Last edited by Calon; 02-07-2014 at 02:55 PM. Reason: extra info
Old 02-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Default Re: playback cursor disappears when looping separate edit & timeline selections

Hi,

Looks like "like timeline and edit selection" is off

A little box under the tools bar looks like up and down arrows and left right arrows together.

chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:00 PM

Default Re: playback cursor disappears when looping separate edit & timeline selections

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

Looks like "like timeline and edit selection" is off

A little box under the tools bar looks like up and down arrows and left right arrows together.

chris
yes it needs to be off so i can have separate edit and timeline selections
which will loop separately. the point i am making is that the playback cursor disappears when an ES is earlier than a TS but not when an ES is later than a TS. i would be interested to know if anyone can replicate this.

edit:
in fact there doesn't seem to be any logic as to when looped playback occurs when u have separate edit and timeline selections although timeline selections are more consistently looped. In any case I don't see any reason why the cursor should freeze or disappear other than it being a graphics glitch.

Last edited by Calon; 02-07-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calon View Post
to illustrate take a look at the 2 screengrabs.
both have separate edit & timeline selections (ES & TS) and
playback is set to loop.
A and B are not comparable, since in A you are in stop and in B you are in playback.

In PT 11.1.2HD, the playback cursor across all tracks is displayed when playing back. Does not matter, if the ES is earlier or later than the TS.

I believe, in stop there is no blinking cursor because PT does not know yet, if it should playback the ES or TS.
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
A and B are not comparable, since in A you are in stop and in B you are in playback.

In PT 11.1.2HD, the playback cursor across all tracks is displayed when playing back. Does not matter, if the ES is earlier or later than the TS.

I believe, in stop there is no blinking cursor because PT does not know yet, if it should playback the ES or TS.
i only provided the screen grabs to illustrate the relative positions of the Edit and TL selections. The point i am making is that the playback cursor is not always visible in certain playback scenarios one of which i have described. I am surprised nobody who uses PT LE on a windows PC has not noticed this coz it happens on both of my computers.