Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Adding searchable data to an AIFF sound library ?

Hi all,

my first post here so hope not to do any etiquette bashing !

I've been looking for a software solution to organize an extensive music library which is mostly in AIFF format.
I would need to add-user defined-data, like genre, BPM, record label, year etc, to be able to search my library by entering various keywords.

I looked at apps like FilemakerPro, Soundminer or Library Monkey, but find it unclear wether I can create some kind of shell around each of my existing AIFF files that now only contain artist and title info.
The idea being to add the same kind of Metadata MP3 files can contain.

I understand BWAV has room for such data, and was also wondering if a valid option would be to batch convert my AIFF library to BWAV without any audio artefacts appearing.

Maybe you SFX and Sound Design pros have an idea ? That area doesn't seem very documented to me.

Thank you

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

MacPro 5.1 2x3.46 Ghz 6 Core 48gb ram MacOS 10.9.5
PT 10HD + PT11
HD Core PCIe + HD Accel x2
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 03-29-2007, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Adding searchable data to an AIFF sound library ?

Sound Grinder does great batch converts, while maintaining your current folder structure

Considered itunes? - it's a pretty powerful search and sort tool for music.

Also look at Mtools from GALLERY UK.
http://www.mtools.info/
http://www.libraryloader.com/

AIFF ( Audio Interchange File Format )

The AIF format has also been used for many years on Macs. It does not rely on resources, so is 'web-friendly', and can be read by most software - even some PC software will read AIF files. The only thing missing from AIF is standardisation of metadata. Metadata is the extra 'non-audio' information stored in a sound file, most importantly the description. This non-standardisation of metadata can also be true of Sound Designer II, to a lesser extent. Although LibraryLoader does embed information in semi-standard description fields for both SD2 and AIFF files, this may not be generally read by software which is unaware of these semi-standards. For example, mTOOLS will read all the descriptions from many different fields in these files, but Digibase will only look in specific places for descriptions. We will cover the detail of what is and isnt read later on. For now, to close on AIFF, its a good format, but the lack of an industry standard description means that only some software will be able to read the metadata in AIFF files made by LibraryLoader.

BWF ( WAVE - Broadcast Wave Format )

The BWF format is an extension of the very common WAV format used on PCs for many years, and which has recently become more common on Macs. Although the basic WAV format holds no great value for Mac users, the BWF extension to this format finally brings a universal, industry standard way to store and retrieve the metadata which we need for a sound effects library. Most software which can read WAV files, can also read BWF files, and those apps which understand the BWF extension will also gain access to the metadata. BWF does not rely on resources, so once again, its 'web-friendly'. Of the 3 formats above, in most cases, we would strongly recommend choosing BWF for your library. The only reason NOT to choose BWF would be if your audio workstation was not able to read BWF files, and you are not using an intermediate solution like mTOOLS to deliver your Sound effects to your editor.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:15 AM

Thank you Irl !
this is extremely valuable info

I didn't know AIFF files could include meta data !
I looked again at iTunes -which I never use- but found the process of entering/searching the Metadata quite unfriendly, moreover not offering user definable fields.

Most of my library is either from vinyl source I recorded myself in PT, or from promo CDs, thus not benefiting from the online databases that automatically transfer most of the info to the file when ripping a commercial CD...

So what I'm looking for is an app that would let me add user definable Metadata in a convenient fashion to a large library (maybe after converting its format) and then searching it with multiple criteria. I'd create playlists I can burn to CD in an app like Toast or Waveburner that has the essential CD text feature.
(I use my own CDs to DJ out, and CD text allows me to see the track's info on the player's display)

From what I understand Mtools needs Filemaker ? I didn't quite understand Filemaker (even after Wikipedia, sorry!), but since I don't need integration with ProTools or other DAW wouldn't that be a simpler/cheaper option ?

Merci !

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

PT 10HD + PT11
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 04-04-2007, 07:11 PM

Take a look at Soundminer. Version 4 is a few days away and it has some features that will suit "music library" cataloging very nicely. Go here
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 PM

First of all I would use Itunes -- In fact I have used this for a very long time and it has worked really well --

You mentioned the fact that it doesn't have user definable fields -- how many additional fields do you need??

There is the grouping and comment field which can both be hijacked for any type of data you want to put in there...

It worked great for a while org'ing my sfx -- although now I am TRYING to use soundminer -- A lot less intuitive, but I guess I'll be able to make it work eventually --

BTW, if you try to add standard wav files to itunes and you change the metadata it will NOT be stored with the file. On the other hand an AIFF file will have all properties saved with the file -- similar to the way metadata is stored in your mp3's --

Also, you can see the add'l fields in itunes in the main browser window by right clicking (or alt+click or ctrl+click) on the field bar where it says "Name", "Artist", "Album" -- you can actually show hide which information you'd like to see -- there is even a BPM category --

you should really check out ITUNES -- very powerful for most applications...
Old 04-09-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Take a look at Soundminer. Version 4 is a few days away and it has some features that will suit "music library" cataloging very nicely. Go here
SM will embed meta-data to MP3, AAC, BWAV, AIFF, SD2 and read the metadata inkl. ID3-tags, BWAV, iXML and mTools meta-data.
Note one thing. When using iTunes. The long descriptions will not show up in PT after importing. iTunes does not support BWAV metadata. Only a propriatory format of ID3-tag-in-AIFF.

frank.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:08 AM

Hey Guys !
thanks for the replies, me who thought the thread was history already !

After the first reply, I did check back on iTunes, and was pleased to realise I could input the same metadata in AIFF as in MP3 files.
But my concern was that it wasn't very convenient.
Meaning that I would need to to apple+i on each track on the iTunes list, or point, click and ctrl on the appropriate fields in the list.
Also if I start tagging my AIFF files with iTunes, it's unclear wether other "future" better suited software will be able to retrieve it.

Is the metadata input process in Soundminer any quicker ? like maybe all the chosen fields on same line with auto tab ?

thanks again

www.dimitrifromparis.com

System:

PT 10HD + PT11
Digidesign 192 IO (Blue)
Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Is the metadata input process in Soundminer any quicker ? like maybe all the chosen fields on same line with auto tab ?

SM offers pretty powerfull tools to batch-fill-in any meta-data field. It offrers find-and-replace, and A LOT more batch-naming/manipulation functions that I´m too lazy to list here.

You can also import an prepared naming list as TAB-separated text and inject the data into any field in SM. Of course if you have a custom library that isn´t named at all someone has to enter the decriptions one by one. There´s no way around that no matter what program you use. Renaming fields in SM is very easy and fast.
But as long as you have the data in a machine readable format there is a way to load that into SM.

Frank.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:57 AM

I've used both and find that Soundminer is a lot more complicated --

I really think that Itunes will do everything you need --

To answer your question about the data stored in the file -- I've been using Itunes for about 5 years and all information that I add has never been lost...

In fact, when I converted to Soundminer -- I as able to grab all of the data I had entered from Itunes and put it in the "SoundMiner" fields...

There are also some REALLY useful tools that can be found here...

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/

There are a lot of COOL scripts here that are free and will allow you to do LOTS of stuff with itunes you never thought you could do --

My Favorite scripts are...

Artist + Track >Filename - (Good for renaming all files with clean info -- usually do this last)
Move Files to Folder - (Moves or Copies your files wherever you want -- good for org'ing files)
Put This in That - (Batch Moves info from one field to another)

good luck...
Old 04-09-2007, 08:38 AM

Sacre Francais! (if you are THE Dimitri)