Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2003, 08:07 AM

Default Is time compression supposed to change pitch...?

This may seem like a silly question... of course it does... duh! ...... But..... I was watching the DiSK short videos about time compressing files and the guy said it compresses and expands without changing the pitch......it didn't change the pitch of his loops ..... but when I tried it on my machine, of course, it changed the pitch... I used the tc/e trim tool. What am I doing wrong...? Help..?!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Is time compression supposed to change pitch..

Time compression & expansion should not change pitch. That's the whole point of using it. Otherwise you would just change speed, faster or slower, to raise or lower pitch. I have used the Audiosuite Time Compression/Expansion effect on tracks with excellent results (like the legal speak at the end of commercials at hyper speed). But I don't haven't used the TC/E tool as I am still running 5.3.1.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:06 AM

Has anyone tried using it to compress multiple tracks, like if you had 15 tracks? I don't know why but I've done it again and again and everytime it's just like a tape machine, it changes the pitch. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Please post your thoughts! I'm trying to use this on a project and the drummer is coming to overdub his parts at the "new" faster tempo but it keeps changing the pitch.... help please....what else can I do?
Old 10-02-2003, 12:28 PM

I've noticed the pitch change too. It seems to have something to do with the program material because the pitch only changes sometimes. I can't imagine why the T/C tool would have any sort of frequency dependancy, but I've noticed that if I adjust a simple drum loop it works fine, but if I adjust a sample it changes the pitch and sometimes adds artifacts. I think the unfortunate answer is it's just not a very reliable plug in. I think that's why Digi has provided the option of choosing from several different options of T/C software. Waves, Serato, etc.