Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 06-14-2010, 02:12 AM

Default Re: Go to post-production

Hi Gary, thanks for the reply.

In my country we go to the to digital television at 01/01/2011 , so I expect a little more business in 5.1. I expect to start small projects in particular, (add FX, BGs, and Foley) and mixed. If demand is high, I would add DSP. My main production is still a stereo pop production. My main concern now is, how to calibrate and connect the 5.1 speakers, so that I can, for example, a morning mix stereo (2x atc 20+krk sub speakers+krk ergo sub calibration) and afternoon 5.1. Optimal would be to have two separate speaker system, one for stereo, one for 5.1, but my studio is too small for that.
For video I have the Apple 30 "HD monitor and Black Magic Intensity. For Pro Tools, two 24" Apple HD monitor, left and right of the center speaker.
I know my questions are weird, but I have little experience with the 5.1.

I very grateful for all the answers.

Best, Dusan
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Go to post-production

You don't need separate stereo speakers. In the output I/O you set up an analogue 5.1 path to feed all 6 speakers with a stereo L/R sub-path that just feeds the left and right speakers. A 5.1 output on a track can be panned to any speaker, an L/R sub-path output will be restricted to the left and right speakers.

Obviously you have to connect the 192 I/O, X-Mon and speaker amps correctly, which is all explained in the manual. If you don't have it, download it from the Avid web site.