Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2021, 07:08 AM

Default Audient ASP880 in Audient ID14MKII ADAT Weak Signal

Anyone own a Audient ASP880?

I just picked one up used. I’m using a SM57 into the preamps then ADAT into an ID14. On vocals and acoustic it hard to get above -20db on the mix indicator in protools without having the preamp all the way up.

Is this normal or should I look at returning this device?

BTW my ID14MKII is only at 3 o’clock on the preamp knob but matches the cranked ASP.

I feel like I’m missing something. Some kind of ADAT setting in protools? Or maybe this this normal for ASP units?

I’ve tired all preamps and switched all cables XLR and optical. Even switch between two SM57s. Same result.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Old 07-05-2021, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Audient ASP880 in Audient ID14MKII ADAT Weak Signal

Hmmm, I've read several very good reviews on this unit and none mentioned a weak signal. With most digital connections(like ADAT and SPDIF), they either work fine or not at all. The only thing I can think of is a clocking issue. You MUST clock correctly, so assuming lightpipe being the only connection from the 880 to the ID14, the clock source would need to be set to OPTICAL(Pro Tools>Setup menu>Playback Engine). If that doesn't help, I'd say return the 880 unless you can test it on another system to verify it works badly on multiple setups

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2021, 02:04 PM

I think your right about the clocking in Pro Tools because levels on my ID audient mixer is higher then what I'm seeing on my meters in Pro Tools.

I've added a few images to show my settings. Playback engine is set to Audient ASIO drivers with not other options to change (see image attached). In my ID mixer system panel has ADAT is on internal clocking per the ID14. I've set the buffer size to 48 on the front panel of ASP880 and this matches in the ID mixer and Pro Tools. Buffer size is 512 across the board. I tired switching to DIG 1 which I believe is the ASP clocking over ADAT and no sign of strength signal increase.(see ID mixer system panel image)

I've attached a few more images to show how the sound level looks per mixer. ID mixer vs Pro Tools mixer images show the signal strength of the ASP on input 4. I am using a SM57 gain maxed out on the ASP > ADAT to the ID14 into my computer. The ID mixer is clipping as I yell test but Pro Tools mixer is not. The ASP880 vocal signal image is my vocals singing (same mic and gain maxed) you can see the sound wave seems very small and I can barely get above -25db on the louder parts of the sound wave.

Not sure if this is normal for this device. I feel like I should be getting more gain or signal out of it.

Any other suggestion to try?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Playback engine Settings.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer vs Protools mixer.jpg (50.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ASP880 vocal signal.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer system panel.jpg (27.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2021, 02:30 PM

Sorry If I doubled replied. Think my first reply got deleted.

Yes, I think you are correct about something not being correct in Pro Tools. I've attached an image of my playback settings. It's the Audient USB ASIO with not other option of changing. My ID mixer image is next with ADAT selected and internal clock set to the ID14. I tried dig 1 which I believe it's the ASP but not signal improvement. All settings are the same across ID mixer, Pro Tools and hardware. Sample rate 48, buffer size 512. I usually set this when create a new session in Pro Tools. Not sure now to check sample rate once I'm in Pro Tools.

ID Mixer vs Pro Tools mixers image shows my vocals yelling test into SM57 with gain on full. It shows the ID mixer is clipping and Pro Tools is getting around -15db.

Image ASP vocals show my vocals singing, medium to high volume all same settings and mic; gain maxed out. The ASP can barely get to -25db on the mixer in playback. I've tried this on the ID14 preamps and I get a stronger sign with the knob at 3 o'clock. These units have the same pre amp.

Is this normal for this unit? I feel like I'm missing something. I can try another DAW but my other interface is out for repairs so I will have to follow up on that.

Sorry if this is my second reply. Any other suggestions would be great, Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Playback engine Settings.jpg (39.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer system panel.jpg (27.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer vs Protools mixer.jpg (50.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ASP880 vocal signal.jpg (48.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-05-2021, 08:06 PM

Default Audient ASP880 in Audient ID14MKII ADAT Weak Signal

You don’t specify what metering type you’re using in pro tools, and you also don’t specify if you looking at the default or a reduced waveform view. I see the clipping indicator lit in PT. The metering might just appear to be low because of the one you’ve selected. The waveform does look like it could be clipped despite the small size but the picture resolution is too low to be certain.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 07-06-2021, 09:32 AM

My metering is is default Sample peak and default waveform view. I just opened up a clean default Pro Tools session for this test. It will clip if you have a plosive but tracking acoustic guitar with a SM57 max gain and find it hard to get above -25 db.

Sorry about the image. I have another image that could be better but I think the image gets reduced during upload.

This image show the ASP880 first track and ID14MKII second track. They both have the same preamps, from what I'm told. First waveform of each track is max gain. Same microphones sm57s tracked at the same time. ASP is via ADAT into ID. The ID has a very large signal while the ASP is small. I dial back ID gain knob to 3 o'clock and I match the ASP the is on the second track second waveform.

I am new to the ASP880 but I feel like I'm losing signal over ADAT and I don't know why. All I know is that I've become really fast at checking my sample rates and bit depths on all my devices and software . And Yes they match over all devices and programs.

Going to see if I can try this on another computer, DAW or maybe ditch the ID14. Thanks for all the replies. Feel free to suggest anything else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASP880 CH4_ID14 CH1 SM57 PT.jpg (62.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 09:54 AM

I still think clocking is not set correctly. None of the screen shots show what I am used to seeing. Now do check thru all the software that is for the ID14, but on any other PT rig, I find clock settings on the Setup>Hardware page(see screen shot from my rig). With any lightpipe unit connected, the Clock source should be Optical(or ADAT)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clocking.jpg (47.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 07-06-2021, 08:46 PM

Hey, thanks for sharing that image. Here is mine, it only shows Audient USB driver.

Here are my other setting via ID mixer, Pro Tools and Sample rate on the ASP880.

Please let me know if you set anything that is off, thanks!

PS. Pro Tools Settings on next post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro Tools Hardware Setup .jpg (24.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ASP880 Sample rate.jpg (55.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer buffer size.jpg (40.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID mixer sample size.jpg (39.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID system clock ADAT and Dig1.jpg (26.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-06-2021, 08:57 PM

Here are the Pro Tools settings. Sorry only 5 photos per post I guess.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a support case open with audient on the ID14MKII. It's funny because I'm on the latest software but my firmware is off. It says 1.0.5 is the latest but I've tired to update and it says latest on my computer.

If you got to audient helpdesk: firmware log
https://support.audient.com/hc/en-us...are-Change-Log
It states 1.0.9 as the latest and 1.0.7 had an ADAT update. While I'm stuck with 1.0.5 firmware.

Anyone think this could be the issue?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pro Tools Playback Engine.jpg (40.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Pro Tools Session.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID MIxer ID14 Firmware.jpg (29.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg ID14 firmware is up to date.jpg (24.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-07-2021, 06:59 AM

Hmmm, still not seeing anything about the clock setting. Try going to the Hardware setup and click on the button to Launch Setup App.

Another thing to check: I see the 48K light on the ASP880. Is your session also at 48K(these 2 things MUST match at all times).

Question: is the ASP880 connected by a single lightpipe only?(I'm assuming this is correct, but just in case...)