Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 04-29-2021, 09:19 AM

Default mbox 2 pro microphone static

Hi,
I've been using my mbox 2 pro interface for a few years now and a few weeks ago I had some issues with my drivers where there was no audio from my input or output, after about a day of checking the cables, testing with different mics and headphones, and reinstalling drivers, I got it working again, but ever since I've had issues with some crackling/static from my mic. When I use the mix function on the interface, the mic sounds fine, and the output works perfectly, but when I record or talk in voice chats with my mic, there's a subtle but noticeable static/crackling noise whenever I talk. I'm using the 8.0.4.354 drivers, I tried installing the 9.0.2.65 driver, but it doesn't work and I have no idea how to remove the old driver.

Here's how the static sounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyAlKkU5OuU
Old 04-30-2021, 12:59 PM

Default Re: mbox 2 pro microphone static

System details? Click the link up top named Help Us Help You and have a good read. Then, if you are on Windows, set Windows Sound Properties to use the on-board sound card as its "default playback device"(unless you are NOT running Pro Tools). If none of that helps, consider that the Mbox is way past EOL(end of life and support) and you may need to get a newer interface.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-30-2021, 01:28 PM

Hey Dave,

I've been trying to find a fix for a while now, but I cannot figure out what the problem is, my OS is fully updated, I've uninstalled and reinstalled all the drivers more than once, I've tried switching out the xlr cable, and the cable from the interface to my computer, I've tried with a different mic. I'm thinking the best idea would be to get a new interface, do you have any recommendations? I don't need something with a lot of inputs, and I don't need anything too expensive, just to be able to use my headphones, and two xlr inputs.

Thanks.

My system details:
win10 64 bit, ryzen 5 2600x, gtx 1050 ti, 16gb ram.
Old 04-30-2021, 02:12 PM

Focusrite and Presonus have some solid options. Just make sure you choose an interface with a connection that you have on your PC. Any 3rd party box is likely to use some software utility for routing, but once you get that set correctly, it should stay that way without further changes. Look at these 2:
Presonus Studio 24c(works on USB-c and USB 3)
Focusrite Clarett 2Pre USB

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave