Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-23-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Dithering question about SmartCode Encoder Encoder

This is a technical question about Smart Code PRO Dolby Encoder, version 1.2
when I use the encoder in Pro Tools 5.3.1, as an Audiosuite Plugin, and I wish to encode 6 24 bit WAV files, does the plug in apply dithering in the encoding stage, via the standard Digidesign Audiosuite Dither, or the resultant AC3 file will be truncated to 16 bit?
The fact that Smart Encoder accept 24 bit input files could assure that the dither stage is embedded within the encoder?
Thanks
AJP
Old 05-24-2003, 10:21 AM

Default Re: Dithering question about SmartCode Encoder Encoder

Would like to know this to. I started with bouncig with dither to 16bits .wav but lately use to stay in 24 bits. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

http://www.mmvstudios.com
Old 05-29-2003, 03:13 AM

thanks for intrest on my query...

But here's no one actually can explain this!

Anyonelse opinion?
Old 05-29-2003, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by poldo:
This is a technical question about Smart Code PRO Dolby Encoder, version 1.2
when I use the encoder in Pro Tools 5.3.1, as an Audiosuite Plugin, and I wish to encode 6 24 bit WAV files, does the plug in apply dithering in the encoding stage, via the standard Digidesign Audiosuite Dither, or the resultant AC3 file will be truncated to 16 bit?
The fact that Smart Encoder accept 24 bit input files could assure that the dither stage is embedded within the encoder?
Thanks
AJP
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">An AC3 file is *not* audio. It's data that must be decoded. When I spoke to dolby many years ago, they actually had to look for the guy who knew the answer to this question (I went through several people). The answer is that the final compression data for 5.1 compressed files can easily be fit into 16 bits, so truncation is not an issue. If it were...you would hear BIZARRE audio whenever a data stream was squeezed into 16 bits.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:41 AM

This is a moot point. The dithering in the Audiosuite process is on the resulting audio file. With the SCP stuff the resulting audio file is deleted by you once you've done the process (by either undoing the process or by manully deleting).

It's the resulting ac3 or dts file that you really want and that's not affected by Audiosuite dithering because it's not a product of the normal Audiosuite process.

Therefore, you can have the AS dithering preference set to whatever you want because it doesn't affect this specifc case.

(Most of that won't make sense to people who aren't familiar with the way the SCP plugs differ to normal Audiosuite plugs)