Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Recording Midi as Audio with the MBox on PTLE 6.4

I have read the other posts on recording Midi as Audio, but how is this done using the Mbox considering that it only has 2 inputs. For example, I have a 10 track song that I recorded over from my Yamaha Motif into PTLE 6.4. I recorded each track individually as Midi so that the song is aligned and so that I can EQ each sound individually. An example is that my sub drop is on Midi track 1, kick drum on Midi track 2, Snare on Midi track 3, and so on. I am attemping to EQ the frequency of the sub on Midi track 1 so that it has no high range, without affecting the other tracks, which I will EQ individually as well. Now according to the directions, the only way to do this is to record the midi tracks as audio, and I have to create an audio track for each midi track. I must then make the INPUT of that particular audio track, the OUTPUT of the midi track that I am attemping to record as audio. When I try to do this, the only options for input for the audio track is the mic/line 1, 2, & 1,2. There is no other option to make the input anything else, I'm guessing because the Mbox only has 2 inputs. I've tried all sorts of things from the Hardware configuration to using sends and buses, but can't figure out how to do this. Can someone please help. Thanks in advance!
Old 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Recording Midi as Audio with the MBox on PTLE

you are on the right track, but what you have to realise is each audio track has to be recorded individually, ie mute all midi tracks but one, record a 4 - 8 bar section as audio and repeat for however many midi tracks you have in your song. after that arange your loops to match your midi and your song is sequenced.

with an mbox the best you can do is ether record one stereo audio track using both inputs 1 & 2 from your mbox or two mono tracks if your keyboard allows you to rout tracks to individual outs like my triton does.
with a 001 or 002 you can record only as many seperate audio tracks as there are seperate audio inputs.

heres another tip if your interested;

because recording individual audio tracks for each midi track is time consuming, what i do is once my "triton mix" of the song i want recorded is satisfactory, i create a stereo aux track and set its inputs to mic/line 1&2, create a stereo master fader, and play the sequence just to make sure the aux and master faders dont clip. i then go ahead and use bounce to disk since and it will bounce the midi thru the auxillary as audio. i find this gives a pretty accurate representation of a mix when you need to get a quick copy of a song.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:14 PM

Man, thanks for the fast response! I think I understand exactly what you're saying....let me give that a try and I'll let you know how it worked for me and if I was able to get it to work. It's probably gonna take me a day or two to respond because of work, but I'll definitely let you know.
Thanks again dog...OKKKAAAYYY!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 04:55 AM

That worked perfectly!!..Yeah, it takes at least an hour to track the song, but its well worth it! Thanks again for both tips!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 12:57 PM

gr8!!

glad to be of service, it took me a while to figure it out myself, but once you have the basics down you can now expand on them and do ever more complicated mixes and dumps. plus once you upgrade (as everyone eventually hopes to) it will become even easier.

ACK