Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2021, 11:06 AM

Default Re: i have $15k to blow on production gear HELP

Avalon is not out of fashion. Lol. Some of the biggest records is still being cut with avalon gear. Some of the best mastering engineers have avalon in the rack.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2021, 11:17 AM

Macs are a moving target at the moment, so I'd think in terms of an HDX card in a chassis with an inexpensive, pretty new mini that I'd intend to replace with a new mac in about a year. I think a U-87 set up next to the SM-57 the singer is actually using can make a significant difference in confidence, so I'd keep that on the list.
Old 07-11-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $BIGGROBB$ View Post
avalon is a thing of the past my man!
Yeah riiiight .. tells us a lot a out your ”businessknowledge” as we do work with the biggest artists and studios EVERYONE has an Avalon and C800G … even wedo and. Ot one has a vintech etc. Says lots!

The sttement you made is like saying LA2A and Neve and 1176’s (REAL ONES) not KLARK or WA etc and we ise the real units daily and works GREAT! And there are HUGEdifferences and hearable ones when running a clone side by side connectdd to our 2 Flock Audio PATCH units where you can A/B in less than a blink.

Whereas we havw worked a long time saving and buyingthe best gear available there is very few combos that works as Avalon and Sony C800 and thats the reason Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, 5th Harmony, Bieber etc tracks Sony and Avalon and U47 with Neve 1073 period!(just a few we worked with)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-11-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
If there is one piece of useful information in relation to outboard studio gear is that 'everything is cyclical and it is best to buck the current tread'.

If something is off trend and therefore prices are depressed then I would be buying them up now, as they will come back in fashion when the next batch of students graduate.

If prices are depressed and I had a device I wouldn't sell either.

I still see loads of Avalon gear in studios, being used all the time though, I am not sure I agree that they are currently out of fashion.
Well said! Thank You!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-11-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
yes thank you I have used each like a million times.

the avalon vibe is like, old school to me, and not where its cool again lol

Personal preference, the avalon sound just bothers me now,

like an annoying gf lmaoooo

i used the hell out of tht thing for like 15 years I am over it.
Stupid looking knobs lol jk they koo
Hmmmmm,
I remember people saying things like that about 15 years ago...
Realized they were clueless.

15K for respect?
That's not a lot of respect.
How old are you?

No offense
Old 07-12-2021, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptheoctave View Post
If there is one piece of useful information in relation to outboard studio gear is that 'everything is cyclical and it is best to buck the current tread'.

If something is off trend and therefore prices are depressed then I would be buying them up now, as they will come back in fashion when the next batch of students graduate.

If prices are depressed and I had a device I wouldn't sell either.

I still see loads of Avalon gear in studios, being used all the time though, I am not sure I agree that they are currently out of fashion.
Yes! of course! i have had two of them! Just personally if everyone goes right, I make a detour lol the piece of equipment is iconic and tried and true...I am just tired of it! After 15 years or so I want a "better" or 'different' piece of equipment, if you will. I appreciate your help! I should be ordering the mac very soon and I will post photos etc
Old 07-12-2021, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yeah riiiight .. tells us a lot a out your ”businessknowledge” as we do work with the biggest artists and studios EVERYONE has an Avalon and C800G … even wedo and. Ot one has a vintech etc. Says lots!

The sttement you made is like saying LA2A and Neve and 1176’s (REAL ONES) not KLARK or WA etc and we ise the real units daily and works GREAT! And there are HUGEdifferences and hearable ones when running a clone side by side connectdd to our 2 Flock Audio PATCH units where you can A/B in less than a blink.

Whereas we havw worked a long time saving and buyingthe best gear available there is very few combos that works as Avalon and Sony C800 and thats the reason Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez, 5th Harmony, Bieber etc tracks Sony and Avalon and U47 with Neve 1073 period!(just a few we worked with)
Maybe in sweden lol
Old 07-12-2021, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

i am tired of it lol used it forever and I want a change
personal preference.

The problem with engineers, so literal lol
used that sony avalon combo for along time, too. i liked the u87 better and i like the u87i too
Old 07-13-2021, 08:17 AM

Quote:
i am tired of it lol used it forever and I want a change

personal preference.

The problem with engineers, so literal lol

used that sony avalon combo for along time, too. i liked the u87 better and i like the u87i too
Wait... you like the u87 better than c800g? Really?

I've used extensively on many albums.
U47
U67
C800g

U87 is never a choice.

I own a c800g after years of using it I bought one.

Old 07-13-2021, 08:18 AM

But I am a Neve fanboy so 1073 yeah. Give me a rack full please.