Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Thumbs down Digi 002 not recognized by MacBook Pro - Digi CoreAudio not working

Hello,

My Digi 002 (Console) is not being recognized by my brand spanking new MacBook Pro.

I have a Firewire 400 - 800 cable going out of the Digi 002 and into the MacBook Pro. I downloaded the newest DigiCore Audio Mamager 9.0 from the Avid Drivers page under "Pro Tools Firewire Device Drivers
- 002 and 003 Family Drivers". It is not recognizing the Digi 002, like for instance when I try to play a song off of iTunes, it plays through the laptop speakers and does not establish contact with the Digi 002. In fact, I have to hard crash iTunes most of the time after I try that.

"Digi CoreAudio Device" is a setting in my System Preferences under Sound, but when I change it to "Digi CoreAudio Device", it doesn't stick when I return back to System Preferences -> Sound.

Also, the Digi CoreAudio Manager reads:

Digidesign HW: Unsupported Device
Channels: N/A
Attached Clients: 0
Buffer Size: 512

Here are my specs:

MacBook Pro (8,2)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

MAC OS X 10.6.7

Digi 002 (CONSOLE)

Digi CoreAudio Manager 9.0

ProTools LE 7.4.2 (I believe)

I recently upgraded to the newest MacBook Pro after battling with a failing G5 for 2 years only to find that the ProTools LE 7 software I was running that was working PERFECTLY is NOT compatible with my MacBook Pro - I HAVE TO UPGRADE TO PROTOOLS 8 OR 9!

I am not happy about this. Actually I am quite frustrated and really pissed off at this point as I do not have the $250 to upgrade and $50 for dongle or whatever scheme accounting cooked up to generate higher revenue shares over there at Avid.

I would just like to get the Digi CoreAudio working for starters so I can utilize the I/O aspects of the Digi 002. Then I will focus on upgrading to ProTools 8 0r 9, with 9 seeming like the best choice if and when I can afford it - or if I decide to even keep working on ProTools.

Any input on how to resolve this issue would be very much appreciated.

Tech-saavy and frustrated,

Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Digi 002 not recognized by MacBook Pro - Digi CoreAudio not working

Since you double-posted this, please go to the other thread, select Edit and find the Delete Post button(just to keep things tidy on the DUC). Only you can do that as the OP(Original Poster). First thing to do with any 002 is to verify that it works at all, and doesn't have the dreaded power harness issue. If its the mixer/controller version, see if it will go into Stand Alone mode and will unmute. If neither of those functions work, then its likely a failed harness. If its the rack version, listen for repeated clicking inside or a stuck MUTE button(red light will not go out0 as those are symptoms of the harness. this thread: http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...=1#post1677129 has a little help part way down on that. Now I see you are trying to use PT7.4 and that is not going to work at all(and using the PT9 driver is useless with an older version of Pro Tools). Start by uninstalling the driver and Pro Tools. Then get Pro Tools 8.0.4 as that is the oldest version that will run on Snow Leopard.(better yet would be to buy PT9 if you can afford it).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Tried putting the Digi 002 in Standalone mode and it works, and it will unmute, so I don't think it is the harness issue. I did send off for the new harness years ago so I believe I either replaced it or re-seated it and it's worked well ever since.

Installing PT 9 now, but the CoreAudio manager still not working. Tried erasing it and re-installing it, and still not working.

I just bought Pro Tools 9, and additionally Avid gave me a support code to deal with the console issue so I have 2 of them to deal with my issue now.

I wasn't trying to run PT 7.4, that was just the last version I had purchased and that had worked for me, tho on another OS (Tiger I believe) and on a different computer (G5).

Been working on finishing a record so just getting back to addressing this issue and Avid is now closed.

Gonna see what else I can figure out. Any additional ideas would help, and I'm sure would help others who are having a similar problem but don't have an Avid Support Code.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Hi , i've just purchased a new Mac Book Pro and get the same problem with DIGI 002 rack .
Acually I'm using it with Logic pro 9 and I have only one channel working on my speaker ..... but the program work just fine when I use it with the Mac speaker , and the DIGI 002 too because I use it with an older Pc system too .

Did you get it fixed ?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:37 AM

You may have some conflict with old/new software. I'd make sure all the old stuff is uninstalled and then do an install of 9.

You can have conflicts with the Core Audio Manager if you try to adjust something there and then load PT. The Core Audio is for standalone use only.

"The Digidesign CoreAudio Driver is an option (checked by default) during the installation of Pro Tools. If you are installing Pro Tools 8.0.3 for Mac OS X 10.5 or 10.6, you should use the Digidesign CoreAudio included with your Pro Tools installation, not the standalone version."
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.