Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-17-2021, 07:23 AM

Default Routing example for stems

I bought Vanilla after having trialed for the last few weeks. I'm not new to DAWs though but still getting used to routing in PT.

I want to make sure this is the best way to route my template for stem mixing. Attached is image of just showing a guitar track etc., to make it easy to see. I want to output to stems, with processing only on the stem auxes, so that when I bounce, it will be as stems and the FX aux (for each stem) should be applied. I will then make the final stereo file from combining those stems in a new project ("mastering").

• Each group of instruments goes to an Aux / Bus as my submix/stem.
• Two Auxes for each stem for FX (reverb, delay).
• I didn't use routing folders, but I do have the FX, VCAs and Print tracks in a basic folder just so that the session isn't so lengthly.

It works, but I wonder if it's more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there still a good reason to have dedicated Print tracks? Or should I just right click the Aux Stem and Bounce?

The one thing that operates strangely are the groups. Normally I would think 1) they would show up in the mixer instead of saying "No group". 2) When I do engage it, and it now says "Guitars", the faders still move independently even though the group is set to Edit and Mix, so I'm not sure if that is normal behavior or if I did something wrong.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot_415.jpg (58.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by macmuse; 03-17-2021 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Routing example for stems

I only want to comment on the ‘combining stems in a seperate session (mastering)’ comment.

Don’t do that. Master or send to mastering facility as a stereo file.

Whilst I have done the odd stem master, it is the exception and not the norm and frankly, as I tell all my clients, the mix engineer should be making the mix decision not the mastering engineer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2021, 02:23 PM

Thanks. Yes, I hadn’t elaborated. Any mastering engineer would get my stereo file, but this is not going to an ME. The reason I am doing stems is so that the [TV] editors can isolate and be able to recombine at their choosing.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:58 PM

Hi
I am bit confused here. Are you talking about music mixing or post production mixing for film/tv/online please? You used abbreviation of ME which I am guessing is M&E?
Because if you do mix for tv/film/online you more likely to mix to a specific loudness specification so your mix is the final mix and there is no mastering step after.

I live in UK and when mixing for TV, EBU-R128 is the loudness spec I have to follow, otherwise mix isn't going to pass broadcaster QC.

With regards

m
Old 03-17-2021, 03:43 PM

Sorry. It was my mistake to even mention mastering. I was just trying to make a distinction of why I’m not concerned with outputting a stereo file which would have been most people’s goal. Forget the part about mastering. It is not part of my question.

I am just wanting to know if my template looks appropriate in PT to best output stems, and if using print tracks is good here or just bounce from the aux.