Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2016, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Neve 1073 Plugins

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Get the UAD one, you'll not regret it.
Agreed!! It's not even close between UAD and the Scheps.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-06-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d. finley View Post
V series is pretty lame IMHO. I have used them quite a bit, as I have used the UAD 1073, 1081, 31102, 88RS, and the 33609. Demo the 31102, I think its very good and with UAs sale!! and you should have a December $25 voucher in your account! its a great deal. Also, when you buy a new UA plug in all your demos get reset. So, demo all those Neve plug ins, which are actually endorsed by Neve, FWIW, and decide which one suites your needs the best. 31102!!
I have the Neve 33609 Compressor. I like it, but it isn't one of my favorite compressors. I also went with the LA-2A Collection over the 1176. I should have demoed both before going with the LA-2A, but I'm happy with my purchase. I use it WAY more than the 33609.

Any comments of the LA-2A vs the 1176 Collection? I heard that they compliment each other great when using them simultaneously.

The only Preamp plugin I have currently is the UA 610 A/B. I use it all the time in Unison mode and really dig it. I'm gonna demo the Neve 1073 and see what I think of it, compared to the 610; I've only heard good things about it (the UA Neve 1073). The UA Neve 1073 is the only version I'd consider buying. The UA plugins are amazing. I like Softube as well. That Summit Grand Channel is a hell of a plugin. I demoed it a while back and fell in love. I don't care much for the TLA-100A Compressor, but the EQF-100 is killer. I'll get it eventually.

I just got the demo for the UA SPL Vitalizer MK2-T yesterday. I'm still figuring it out, so it be premature to make a judgement call on it. Anyone use this plugin and like it? If yes, what's your favorite tracks to use it on?
Old 12-06-2016, 11:24 AM

We have a vintage 1176 revF and a pair of F100 eps here. I wasn't really tempted to demo the 1176 collection, but I did purchase the LA2A collection which I like. LA2A collection sounds much better than the legacy LA2A, which sounds very dull IMHO. It does compress nicely but just so dull and I don't want to crank an eq to get the air back if I really don't need to. LA2A MK2 is a lot bigger and smoother sounding and with the emphasis knob it retains much of the hi end. LA2A on vocals and bass sounds wonderful!! AND! I had the $25 dec voucher and another $25 UA voucher so including the sale I paid $49 for the LA2A mk2!! I enjoy the 33609 on parallel drum bus, a lot! It has such a nice squeeze to it which pushes everything forward. Not a plug in I use on all busses.

Now I own the helios, harrison, 1073, 1081, 88rs and the 4k channel strip, so I need another eq plug in like I need another hole in my head , but the 31102 is really a great plug in and if I was going to get another eq plug in that would be the one. I have real F100s at the studio so not tempted to buy the UAD versions of those. Same with the vitalizer, I have the tdm/rtas of that so I am not tempted either and I don't really use that plug in much at all. I do however really like the Studier A800, demo that if you have not.

www.sugarhillstudios713.com
Old 12-06-2016, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
I don't think the V EQs are "lame" at all.

In fact I prefer the VEQ3 to the Sheps
I definitely respect Mr. Wittmans' opinion, just not a big waves fan although H-delay is great simple delay. I haven't used the Sheps eq.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM

I'm no 1073 snob, but I like Acustica Navy...
Old 12-07-2016, 12:06 AM

Quote:
We have a vintage 1176 revF and a pair of F100 eps here. I wasn't really tempted to demo the 1176 collection, but I did purchase the LA2A collection which I like. LA2A collection sounds much better than the legacy LA2A, which sounds very dull IMHO. It does compress nicely but just so dull and I don't want to crank an eq to get the air back if I really don't need to. LA2A MK2 is a lot bigger and smoother sounding and with the emphasis knob it retains much of the hi end. LA2A on vocals and bass sounds wonderful!! AND! I had the $25 dec voucher and another $25 UA voucher so including the sale I paid $49 for the LA2A mk2!! I enjoy the 33609 on parallel drum bus, a lot! It has such a nice squeeze to it which pushes everything forward. Not a plug in I use on all busses.

Now I own the helios, harrison, 1073, 1081, 88rs and the 4k channel strip, so I need another eq plug in like I need another hole in my head , but the 31102 is really a great plug in and if I was going to get another eq plug in that would be the one. I have real F100s at the studio so not tempted to buy the UAD versions of those. Same with the vitalizer, I have the tdm/rtas of that so I am not tempted either and I don't really use that plug in much at all. I do however really like the Studier A800, demo that if you have not.
I only have a DUO and all those reel to reel emulators kill me on the DSP. It's kind of pissing me off that the Apollo comes with a free Satellite QUAD, although I've enjoyed having my Apollo for the past year.

As far as EQ's go, I like the Waves API 550A/B EQ. It's probably gonna be my next purchase. Either that or the SSL EQ. I just got the L3 and I'm reallt digging it. Alot of people say they like the L2 better for most applications, but when I A/B'd the two demos I dug the L3 way better. It comes with three different versions of the L3. There's one that just kills it for the heavy rock stuff I record. Not the L3LL, the second one on the plug-in list. I was using the free Massey L2007 before buying the L3. It's sounds WAY better.

I've been going with non-UA plugins at the moment to save on the UA DSP. I really dig the Softube stuff. Especially the Summit EQ. Not a big fan of the Summit compressor, but the EQ is amazing. I already tapped out the demo, but I plan on buying that one at some-point soon.

I know you mentioned that you don't use it that much, but what does that Vitalizer work best for? I like the Helios 69 on guitar; I like doubling up and hard panning the electric and using the Permagrin preset on one side and the Townsend preset on the other side. What do you like using it on? I lucked out...they had a promo at the beginning of the year and gave it out for free.
Old 12-07-2016, 10:31 AM

The A800 uses less DSP than the ampex. Helios on GTR is nice I will use that occasionally but really like the 1073 or 1081 for that instead. Vitalizer I will use on sources that are very dull and need some hi boost or excitement to happen.

Old 12-07-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
The A800 uses less DSP than the ampex. Helios on GTR is nice I will use that occasionally but really like the 1073 or 1081 for that instead. Vitalizer I will use on sources that are very dull and need some hi boost or excitement to happen.
I've been looking for a decent plugin in the the kick drum and I finally found it while demoing the Waves SSL Bundle. The SSL E-Channel "Kick Drum" Preset sounds insane. It's not too boomy and has a cool thuddy click to it. Unfortuntely you need to buy the either bundle to get that E-Channel with Waves, but UA sells it as a standalone. I can only imagine that their version is WAY better, like mostly all their plugins. I'm gonna demo it tonight and do an A/B comparison. Have you tried this yet? All I've used it for so far is the kick drum, but I imagine it kills it for more than just that. I thought I'd like the Vitalizer more; I can't really find a use for it yet, although I've only playing around w/ it for less than a day. Maybe I was thinking of a different plugin that has a similar GUI?
Old 12-07-2016, 01:52 PM

I have the UAD 4K strip which is the unauthorized SSL 4000 channel strip which they no longer sell since the SSL endorsement. I think it sounds great as does the 88rs channel strip too. The API Vision strip is also fantastic but its more of a DSP pig. for kick I wil use either the 4k or 88rs depending. The gate on the 88 really pops.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I have the UAD 4K strip which is the unauthorized SSL 4000 channel strip which they no longer sell since the SSL endorsement. I think it sounds great as does the 88rs channel strip too. The API Vision strip is also fantastic but its more of a DSP pig. for kick I wil use either the 4k or 88rs depending. The gate on the 88 really pops.
I was demoing the UAD SSL E-Channel last night. Waves has a SSL plug just titled SSLChannel and the Kick Drum preset on it is insane. Unfortunately Waves doesn't sell it as a standalone, you have to drop $500+ on the SSL bundle to get that plugin. I figured that the E-Channel was pretty much the same plugin...it looks alot alike, but there are a few differences. Anyways, the E-Channel Kick preset doesn't come anywhere close to the sound of the Waves plugin. I even tried copying all the setting and still wasn't totally happy with the results.

What's the difference between the UAD 4K Strip and the E-Channel? They look exactly alike from the pictures I checked out online. Unfortunately I can't try it cuz it's OOP.

Is the UAD Neve 88RS way better than the Legacy version? I tried the Legacy on the kick, but the gate kept cutting out some of the kick hits; it wasn't very consistent. When the gate was working properly the kick sounded pretty bad ass.