Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2008, 06:47 AM

Default Re: Question about iLok

Quote:
So, aside from Zero Downtime, one should purchase insurance on their iLok? You mean like schedule it on your home or renters policy up to the value of the plug ins that don't subscribe to zero downtime? Otherwise, zero downtime is the way to go?

I'm mostly concerned about that little card inside of mine. If that thing falls out, cancel Christmas right? I think that the little card inside of it is what stores all the data. The iLok housing is just a reader for that card right?

Thanks!
Jason
You should check with your insurance carrier concerning the way to go, but I have rider on a homeowner policy to cover the cost of the software plus all my other equipment. The Downtime thing thing is there because I don't want to wait several weeks while Pace does its thing.

As far as I know, there is no removable card in the iLok. The license cards you get with some software is just a means of transferring authorizations. So no need to worry about something falling out.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:34 AM

Oh, so the little white card I got when I purchased Filterbank doesn't need to stay in it? I can take it out and not have to worry about it now that everything is registered? That's good news!

J
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 05-10-2008, 10:45 AM

No, you only need the little plastic insert cards the first time you launch and authorize.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
Avid

Quote:
Well according to iLok, authorizations for most plug-ins can be reloaded onto a new iLok if you have the following (which I do).

Zero Downtime

The only bad thing about that is that Waves and several other manufacturers do not subscribe to program. So insurance is definitely something you should have even with or without the above.
That is only the case with a broken iLok - if you lose your iLok or it's stolen and you have Zero Downtime, you'll be able to get the temp licenses, but since PACE cannot verify any auths (since you have no iLok to send to them), they cannot provide replacement auths. In this case, you would have to repurchase the plug-ins - and the reason you want to have your iLok insured for replacement value of those plug-ins.
Old 05-27-2008, 07:13 AM

It seems weird to me that if I lost or had my iLok broken, that I'd have to re-purchase all the plugins that I've already purchased and own, just because I lost a $40 plastic key. That seems like extortion almost! Why can't you just buy a new iLok and then maybe pay a fee per plugin to transfer the old auth's to the new?

I just can't wrap my mind around why I should have to insure my plugins, when I already own them and paid for them in full? I can understand having to repurchase them if you lost say the installer file and more importantly your license info... cuz then you would have any proof of purchase at all. But to have to spend $2000 on buying new plugins if I lost my ilok is just ridiculous to me.

I though the iLok was supposed to be a device of convenience and copy protection. The reprocusions of losing it or breaking it sure seem severe. You'd think if it were so important, they would have made it out of something other than plastic. If I accidentally stepped on it, I'm SOL. A $2000 accident, rather than a $40 one.

UNLESS of course I'm not understanding something here...

j
OWC External FW HDD
Old 05-27-2008, 07:50 AM

You will not have to replace the software licenses as cost if the USB key breaks. As I understand you can get replacement licenses for a nominal fee if your existing key is broken though you do have to send it to them. This process can be expedited under the Zero Downtime option.

If the key is stolen, then the scenario is as you describe. This is probably because iLok have no physical evidence that you still have the licenses i.e they cannot confirm that you haven't sold the USB Key.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM

Oh I see... So if it were STOLEN or LOST, what's to say I didn't just claim it as such, and give the key to a buddy to use, thus replacing my iLok and reauthing the plugins. It prevents you from dupeing the company twice. That makes sense.

So again, this then backs up why a person should "Schedule" the software they own onto their home/renters/business policy.

I'm an insurance agent believe it or not! So I will look into how to schedule software. Scheduling something like this is a bit unusual for a homeowner, but makes sense if you had your "studio/business" insured because then your software would be covered as business personal property. However, sometimes Theft is excluded, so you might want to check. And, even if theft were covered, you'd have to go thru your deductible. If you lose it, than no matter what policy you have, it's considered a "mysterious disapearance". This would also apply to theft where there is no sign of forced entry. And in order for that to be covered, you'd need to schedule your software. I'll get a rate, and let you know what the cost is per $100. It will vary from company to company, but generally the rates are fairly consistant.

Thanks!
Jason
OWC External FW HDD
Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 AM

either way we're hosed.

with or without the Zero Downtime, any Downtime for that matter is bad. Zero Downtime is only for broken iloks. What a Joke!

That is soo weak on their part.They don't want us to have backup iLoks because it's possible that we'll load all of our plugins onto the backup and then sell it off to our buddies for a discounted price.

This is the real reason right here!!! ----^

We need to find somebody who nows how the circuitry works inside that little sucker so we can have our own "backup plan". I am not made of money to buy all of my plugins again, and don't get me wrong I love my buddies a ton, but not to give out thousands of hard earned dollars on a little piece of plastic for a couple of bucks.

Just my $.02
Pro Tools 10.3.7 - 11.1.2
6GB RAM
Universal Audio Apollo Quad!!!
Eleven Rack
Focusrite Octopre MKII
Yamaha HS80s
Rockit RP5 Monitors w/ RP10 sub