Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM

Default Recording with a Compressor Plug-In applied

I want to record vocal tracks with compression. I read that I can use an Aux track as my input and bus it over to an Audio track for recording, apply the plug-in to the Aux track, turn the slider on the Audio Track all the way down (to avoid double feeding the track) and use the Aux for monitoring. When I do this I get no sound. Can you even monitor with an Aux track without having output being "Out 1-2 (Stereo)." Is my only option using an external Compressor/Preamp if I hope to apply compression to the vocals before the recording?
Old 10-23-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Recording with a Compressor Plug-In applied

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittybeats View Post
I want to record vocal tracks with compression. I read that I can use an Aux track as my input and bus it over to an Audio track for recording, apply the plug-in to the Aux track, turn the slider on the Audio Track all the way down (to avoid double feeding the track) and use the Aux for monitoring. When I do this I get no sound. Can you even monitor with an Aux track without having output being "Out 1-2 (Stereo)." Is my only option using an external Compressor/Preamp if I hope to apply compression to the vocals before the recording?
Go out of the aux track from it's output tab to a bus that feeds the input of the audio track. Leave both faders up.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Create a mono Aux track and a mono Audio track.
The compressor goes on the Aux track.
The input of the Aux track is your mic input to Pro Tools, i.e., Input 1
Send the output of the Aux track to Bus 1, and make the input of the Audio track Bus 1
The output of the Audio track remains at Output 1-2
Put the Audio track in record and check level, compression settings, etc.
You will monitor through the Audio track, not the Aux track.
The level to the Audio track is determined by the fader and Compressor settings of the Aux track.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:14 PM

If you're trying to control your levels going in to the hardware interface, keep in mind that this will not do anything for that. Only a hardware compressor can actually tame your peaks before they hit the digital converter in your interface.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:29 PM

nst7 is right. You can't use a plugin for compression on the way in,
Well you can but it is no different than doing it later. The plugin is after the AD so if you distort it is done before the compressor.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittybeats View Post
Is my only option using an external Compressor/Preamp if I hope to apply compression to the vocals before the recording?
YES!!! the only one. like nst7 & Bender said

Well you CAN do it, But it will help you nothing for controlling recording Levels or preventing clipping. Since the signal already clipped when you see it on your screen.

Also if you cannot get a 64sample buffer the latency to use effects while recording my be too much to be of use.
And if you choose Low Latency Monitoring all plug-ins are bypassed anyway.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:42 AM

So, applying a compressor plug-in to the aux track bussed to an audio track makes no difference in the outcome of the waveform?
Old 10-24-2010, 02:29 AM

Whitty,

There are some amazing software compressors to choose from---but as has been said, this is AFTER the fact. These plugins are great for mixing but they do little to nothing for tracking. All of the conversion is done upon input which is where you want your HARDWARE compressor---to capture the track with compression, prevent clipping, and control the sound upon input. There's no benefit to putting this on a track while recording, just record the track and place it after the fact when mixing IMHO.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:38 AM

It will change the recorded signal. But there is no advantage in doing this during recording. You can achieve the same results when compressing later. And you can play with the compressor settings during mixdown. If you record your vocals with compression you (obviously) can't change it anymore later.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 AM

PT gives you the possibility to work flexible and make changes later, adjust them endlessly to your satisfaction and when you save the session, you can even change everything again years and years later.

It is this flexibility that gives you advances. So why do you want to record with compression on your input?

You can do it easily with an aux track, so you could. But think before you want to work that way.