Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Default Screen Shot

Can someone who has PT9 HD running please take a screen shot with the system usage window open on the screen and post it for me.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Screen Shot

Pro Tools HD Native 9.0 http://screencast.com/t/F21MOvYJ2sG
Old 12-17-2010, 11:20 AM

Thanks
Does any one have a PT 9 HD TDM system to give me a screen shot of the system usage?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:31 PM

What are you looking for exactly? The screen-shot might not be relevant to you if you don't have the exact same configuration, memory, and cpu power.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM

I want to know if the voices allocated and time slots used is still there in the TDM enviroment on PT9 or has this been eliminated?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:14 PM

Let me explain why!
In the TDM enviroment when you are recording at 24 bit 88.2 or 96K the processing is doubled and the voices allocated goes down to 96 max and this is not just audio track count.In the TDM enviroment bussing, auxes ,sends and RTAS plugins use the voices allocated so with a session with a hi track count you run out of voices quickly.
In the LE world you don't have this and the computer or processor handles all of this and all you half to worry about is track count.
Computers are so fast now that the TDM cards at higher sample rates can't keep up and a LE system & computer with a I7 processor with the same session at the same sample rate and processing will punish the TDM one as far as playback and what the computer will handle.
I have a HD3 accel system and a 003 LE system with a I7 processor will out perform it as far as processing which includes bussing auxes plugins and track count when combined in the session.
So what i'm saying is the TDM Architecture is a dead end because of how fast computers have progressed and the cards only can do so much.Also to ad is trying to find a mother board now that will take more than 3 cards is almost impossible since i have older PCI cards not PCIE!
So back to why i want to know is that if PT9 in the TDM enviroment does away with voices allocated & time slots used and lets the host computer handle it then the TDM system becomes more powerful if not it's a dead end boat anchor!
Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Ghost View Post
I want to know if the voices allocated and time slots used is still there in the TDM enviroment on PT9 or has this been eliminated?
Nope, still there.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:37 PM

Thanks