Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2023, 07:04 PM

Default Fades overriding sync point when snapping to grid

PT Ultimate, 2023.3, Monterey 12.6.1 on a Mac Studio (M1 of course).

Anyone else noticed that if your sync point is not at the start of a region, if you've also got a fade in at the start of the region, when snapping to grid (Apple+0) the fade overrides the sync point and the region edge snaps to the grid (instead of the sync point).

That's harder to explain than to do...

I'm sure this is new behaviour in a recent PT update.

Can someone else check this for me, make sure it's not just me?

(apple+, moves the sync point to within the region. Apple+0 to snap to grid. Then add a fade at the head of the region and repeat. It SHOULD snap to the same sync point. But it doesn't!)
Old 05-30-2023, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Fades overriding sync point when snapping to grid

Has it not always done this? I never use the snap to grid command but every other snap function operates with the clip start or end points. Unless you use a snap sync point command. Right?
Old 05-30-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Has it not always done this? I never use the snap to grid command but every other snap function operates with the clip start or end points. Unless you use a snap sync point command. Right?
No - the whole point of moving the sync point is so you can eg snap a region with a leading edge to the grid and keep it in time. Eg a tambourine where the impact isn’t the start of the sample.

Try it - out the cursor in the middle of a region and hit Apple+, - you get a little triangle (beat detective also puts these in if you leave a trigger pad). Then if you quantise the region using BD or snap to grid, it uses this as the reference point.

But as soon as you put a fade on - it ignores it. Which doesn’t make logical sense to me!

(But if you don’t use this feature - you probably can’t confirm or deny the bug!).
Old 05-30-2023, 01:25 PM

That makes logical sense to me. I think opening a support issue for this would be appropriate.

It should still sync to a sync point, regardless of a fade being present. The chosen sync point should govern the placement of the clip, not a fade, here or there, this long or that long, etc.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //

Last edited by nednednerb; 05-30-2023 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
No - the whole point of moving the sync point is so you can eg snap a region with a leading edge to the grid and keep it in time. Eg a tambourine where the impact isn’t the start of the sample.

Try it - out the cursor in the middle of a region and hit Apple+, - you get a little triangle (beat detective also puts these in if you leave a trigger pad). Then if you quantise the region using BD or snap to grid, it uses this as the reference point.

But as soon as you put a fade on - it ignores it. Which doesn’t make logical sense to me!

(But if you don’t use this feature - you probably can’t confirm or deny the bug!).
No I know very well what a sync point is I just never use this Quantize feature.

For what it's worth I just tested it and I see your same behavior in 2022.7. So not a new bug at least.