Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 05-26-2023, 12:59 PM

Default The benefits of automation tools and scripting SDK versus a million features

A million features would be useless to 3/4 of a million users, no?

How many of us use ALL the features of PT? Not many I'd say, even if some use almost every single feature..

So, every day I see users on here doing a couple things:

1) Slag on Avid for not implementing a million features with a million options each.

2) Slag on automation and scripting unique solutions to unique use scenarios, for a million reasons.

What about the OTHER side, instead of downing on these things in this thread? (You're not welcome in the future, lol, of this thread)!

I'd like to hear about how people appreciate tools like SoundFlow and how you anticipate the official scripting SDK to enable and streamline your work.

What do you do with automation, since discovering it, that you'll never go back on?

What saves you time? What makes automation worth it?

What would you like to do that it seems cannot be done yet?

What about the learning curve-- do you have time, motivation, cycles for this work?

What do you say, after you're into automation for a while, about the mixing of repetitive behaviors and creative energy? For example, some might see the scripting as a cognitive burden, while others see the automation in practice as a creative enabler.
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 05-27-2023, 08:46 AM

Default Re: The benefits of automation tools and scripting SDK versus a million features

Mr. Ned Ned

Interesting to consider the implications of a scripting language for PT. Depending on how deep the scripting goes, I could see GPT4.5 (trained on PT Script) fully automating mixes and then producing mixes in the "style of" Al Schmidt for example.

Automation will be useful no doubt, but PT as a GPT/LLM plugin will be transformative. If 'Fake Drake' can 'create' music people like, then 'Fake CLA' can certainly 'mix' music people will like.

Such interesting times. Anything with deep scripting will be a candidate for LLM training and integration as a GPT plugin. The conspiracy part of my brain thinks that AVID integrated scripting at the request of 'Big Media' so they could radically bring down the cost of Post. Tinfoil hat time.

...but, that's probably not the discussion you were looking for.

ejinbc
Old 05-28-2023, 10:49 AM

Default Re: The benefits of automation tools and scripting SDK versus a million features

Regarding AI tools,

Consider GitHub. Are they afraid of software writing software?

Nope! They've released "Copilot." The seasoned professional software programmers that REALLY know scripting, and who I work with, are super happy to embrace the idea of telling Copilot:

"Okay, I have an object myObject with key pairs and values for name, id, but empty values for color. Can you write a function to iterate through each ID, and when the name is the same, give it the same color, from a range of values in array, myColors. Then, hook that up with the last function I created so based on the color, the function will iterate through this other array myArray."

And Copilot practically just DOES it, then the developer goes "ahhh, the boring work is done, now I just do the already necessary troubleshooting part of it!"

||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //