Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-18-2023, 11:02 AM

Default Copy In problem

Hi All!

I was just trying to make a session without audio from a previous session I had so as to save the new session as a template for some upcoming sessions.
I performed a "Copy In" of the original session, gave it a new name, and did NOT check the "Audio Files " box (or for that matter any of the boxes under "Items To Copy"). I just wanted an empty ptx file.

When I opened the new ptx, it showed up with all of my audio files, both on the timeline and in the clips list, as well as all of the markers I had used.

Is there a Preference that I'm missing? Do I need to somehow tell my new session not to reference the audio from the original before it opens? I thought it would make a ptx file with no audio that I could then "Save As Template."

I'm on a maxed out Mac Mini with an i7 processor, running PT 2022.10.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Copy In problem

Never seen that, try saving the session in other drive just in case.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:32 AM

If you only want to create a template of the session, try going to the File menu and choosing Save As Template

The Save In option is more for saving session copies or creating versions of your session.

System Details
Old 05-18-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthpup View Post
I performed a "Copy In" of the original session, gave it a new name, and did NOT check the "Audio Files " box (or for that matter any of the boxes under "Items To Copy"). I just wanted an empty ptx file.
What happened, is what's supposed to happen; because you didn't check the 'copy audio files', the new 'saved copy in' session has all the content on tracks present, but they are NOT in the new session's audio files folder. Instead they reference the audio files folder of the original session.

Recipe for screwing up stuff.

I think what you wanted to do was to select all files/clips in the clip bin and 'remove' them (not delete) before you did the save copy in. That way you'd have a blank session, in a separate session folder, and all new audio would be placed in that sessions audio folder. And this would be without using the template method.

Of course, you wouldn't want to save the original session after having removed all the audio. To be clear; make the session look like the way you want, do the save copy in, close the session without saving.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 05-18-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:04 PM

I just answered this question in the main Pro Tools forum. Best not to double post. Mods, any way to combine these posts?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the advice. Yes, of course, I kind of figured out the solution the way @Ben Jenssen lays it out. So I now have what I wanted.
@originalscottyg, I actually posted in both places because I wanted to post in "Pro Tools" and not "Getting Started" but a slip of the mouse put me in the latter and I didn't realize it until I had posted.

Thanks again everyone.