Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 07-14-2008, 01:20 PM

Default Can i get Gain, HPF and +48 to follow when i change patch?

Hi

My first post.
Is it possible to change the input patch in a show and stil get the same gain/HPF value and +48 on/off to follow my input strips in any way?
There must be a faster way than saving all input channels one by one and paste them after i done my patch!?

Best

Mathias
Old 07-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Avid

Default Re: Can i get Gain, HPF and +48 to follow when i change patc

Hi Mathias,

The fastest way to do this is to copy the channel first, change the patch, and then paste the settings back. That will give all of the PRE settings you mention. By default copy & paste are assigned to function switches 3 and 4 respectively, or you can right-click on screen and choose copy/paste.

Sheldon
Old 07-15-2008, 12:38 AM

ok
So thats the only way. I think its faster to take a pice of paper and write it down(its 80 chn i need to patch)
Anyway thanks för fast anawers

Mathias
Old 07-15-2008, 09:08 AM
Avid

Hi Mathias,

I think we may be talking about two different approaches. If I'm understanding correctly, the approach you describe involves creating a preset for each channel, then applying these presets after the patch is made. The approach I describe uses the basic copy/paste functions - not channel presets - which should be much faster than using channel presets. It's certainly a lot fewer mouse clicks.

Here's an example, to help clarify:
1) Select the channel of interest
2) Press the F3 Function switch (assuming it's still assigned to the default Copy function)
3) Go to the patchbay and change the patch to the new input source. PRE settings will change to match that source.
4) With the channel still selected, press the F4 Function switch (assuming it's still assigned to the default Paste function). PRE settings will revert back to their original values.

Function switch assignments are set on the Events tab of the Options page.

Sheldon
Old 07-15-2008, 02:25 PM

thanks for all your tips!

i did my patch today, wrote everything down and then did all my patches and then changed all my gains etc by looking in my notes.
It would have been nice to have a feature that asked me if i wanted gain,HPF and +48 to follow my channel strip when i change my softpatch, mybe it´s just me but i often have to change my patch between music rehersal and productin rehersel because artists always tend to make alot of changes and adding instruments during rehersal....

I still love the Venue familly!

Best

Mathias
Old 07-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticore View Post
thanks for all your tips!

i did my patch today, wrote everything down and then did all my patches and then changed all my gains etc by looking in my notes.
It would have been nice to have a feature that asked me if i wanted gain,HPF and +48 to follow my channel strip when i change my softpatch, mybe it´s just me but i often have to change my patch between music rehersal and productin rehersel because artists always tend to make alot of changes and adding instruments during rehersal....

I still love the Venue familly!

Best

Mathias
My experience with an "evolving" input list at rehearsals (and we had plenty of "evolution!") was that it was easier not to change the patch, but just add the new inputs further down the line and simply move the channel strips on the desk to where I wanted them. It's simple enough to figure out where the inputs are in the patch later by pressing the "source" button. Otherwise, I'd advocate Sheldon's approach.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Avid

Hi everyone,

Here's another method that works really well and allows you to reset the PRE settings for all channels in one go, compared to the cut/paste method I described earlier.

First, some background...
Every time a snapshot is stored on a VENUE system all of the console data (except plug-in settings) is captured and stored. We'll use this fact to our advantage in a cross-patch situation.

Here's how:
1) Before making the cross patch create a new snapshot to capture the current gain settings. Name the snapshot "PRE Settings."
2) Cross-patch all channels as needed. This will cause the PRE settings to change to whatever the newly patched input is set to. Do not panic...
3) Set the scope of the Pre Settings snapshot so that all input channels are scoped (red), and ONLY the PRE data type button is scoped. (This indicates that only the PRE settings for the scoped channel will be recalled - exactly what we want). Make sure the IN data type is NOT scoped (it should be gray).
4) On the Options > Snapshots page, under the PRE heading make sure all choices are checked (Gain, 48V, HPF, etc.).
5) Recall the "PRE Settings" snapshot. Result: the new patching remains in place, but you now have all of the original preamp settings back.

What's cool about this approach is that you can get the preamp settings back even long after making the cross-patch. So long as you haven't overwritten the snapshot with the new pre settings they can always be recovered using the steps described above. Even cooler, all of this can be done offline using the standalone software, in advance of the gig.

Don't forget to return to the Options > Snapshots page and set the PRE options back to their previous settings.

Also, if you have the IN data type (for input patching) scoped in any snapshot you'll need to update those snapshots to reflect the new patching. Otherwise you could be in for a surprise when the input patch changes mid-show...

Note the slight modification from what was previously written. The key to this approach is to use a recent snapshot that has the correct gain settings stored. If you've made any gain changes but not stored them to a snapshot in a while, it's best to simply create and use a new snapshot with the current settings rather than duplicate a previous snapshot.

Sheldon
Old 07-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Radford View Post
Hi everyone,

Here's another method that works really well and allows you to reset the PRE settings for all channels in one go, compared to the cut/paste method I described earlier.

First, some background...
Every time a snapshot is stored on a VENUE system all of the console data (except plug-in settings) is captured and stored. We'll use this fact to our advantage in a cross-patch situation.

Here's how:
1) Cross-patch all channels as needed. This will cause the PRE settings to change to whatever the newly patched input was set to. Do not panic...
2) On the Snapshots page, create a duplicate of the most recently stored snapshot. Rename it "PRE Settings."
3) Set the scope of this snapshot so that all input channels are scoped (red), and ONLY the PRE data type button is scoped. (This indicates that only the PRE settings for the scoped channel will be recalled - exactly what we want). MAkre sure the IN data type is NOT scoped (it should be gray).
4) On the Options > Snapshots page, under the PRE heading make sure all choices are checked (Gain, 48V, etc.).
5) Recall the snapshot "PRE Settings" snapshot. Result: the new patching remains in place, but you now have all of the original preamp settings back.

What's cool about this approach is that you can get the preamp settings back even long after making the cross-patch. So long as you haven't overwritten the snapshot with the new pre settings they can always be recovered using the steps described above.

Don't forget to return to the Options > Snapshots page and set the PRE options back to their previous settings.

Also, if you have the IN data type (for input patching) scoped in any snpapshot you'll need to update those snapshots to reflect the new patching. Otherwise you could be in for a surprise when the input patch changes mid-show...

Sheldon
Sheldon,

Great tip... especially the "do not panic" part.

Brad
Old 07-23-2008, 08:28 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmadix View Post
Sheldon,
Great tip... especially the "do not panic" part.
Yep. There's nothing like staring at 96 channels and not recognizing a single gain setting....5 minutes to showtime.

Seriously though folks, take a few minutes to walk through this process using a show file you're very familiar with. It powerful stuff, but with power comes responsibility.

Sheldon