Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-02-2015, 09:30 AM

Default Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 with Pro Tools 12

Anybody using this interface with the newest version of Pro Tools?
Old 07-02-2015, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 with Pro Tools 12

I do, it works well.

Wave-T.com
Old 07-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Using Ls56 with two OctoPres MK2 and they all work great together, no problems at all.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:34 PM

+1 on all the comments above. I've been using one for years. Focusrite are simply one of the best pieces of kit on the market for their price point. :)

Sorry, let me quantify that with an IMHO so I don't offend anyone.

I've used M-Audio, Digidesign, Phonic, MOTU and Focusrite, so far Focusrite and MOTU have been my favourite devices. :)
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 AM

Same said as above, my portable rig is a L. Saffire 56 and Octos and its working flawlessly. Good piece of gear!

Last edited by EdwardG; 07-04-2015 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:17 PM

I am having issues here. Bought this very nice second-hand Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 to replace the DIGI 003 Rack I have used since I bought it new in 2007.

The Saffire is in mint condition, looks like hardly ever used so I don't think there are any hardware problems. But I am getting sporadic and varying problems in Pro Tools 12, specifically, ADAT channels 5/6 & 7/8 keep malfunctioning, loss of audio and/or distorted signal. ADAT 1/2 & 3/4 are fine.

Then I am getting Pro-Tools "lock up", i.e the Play button on transport suddenly ceases to function, rewind etc all ok, but useless because play is lost. Boot up required to clear the problem.

Occasionally also Pro-Tools surprisingly quits with a message that the Firewire device has changed sample rate for no apparent reason.

I also had issues after the latest batch of WIN 10 updates, luckily I was backed up and have disabled auto updates [if anyone else is experiencing similar problems I can tell you how to disable the auto updates in WIN 10].

Disappointing here because the Focusrite does what it says on the tin "focuses right", great sounding unit and if I can get rid of these niggles I'll be well satisfied that I have swapped it out for the 003 which in comparison is simply outclassed by the Liquid Saffire.

Finally, and I have actually been on to Focusrite about this and they said it was "my ears" meaning I must have cotton wool in 'em or be deaf due to years of exposure to Nugent, but my experience with the Liquid pre-amps is somewhat underwhelming, reading SOS reviews they are 'sposed to be the bees knees with "many different flavours", but my ears (admittedly battered and bruised but still very acute), I can't tell a difference between any of them, and the harmonics control has no effect whatsoever.

I summing up Mi 'Lud, I am coming to a conclusion here that this is all software related and perhaps this unit is missing a Firmware update or something. I have the latest MixControl software installed so unless that is buggy can't see it being the root of this plethora of problems...

Interested if anyone has remedies or has experienced similar irritations ?
Old 08-14-2016, 04:12 PM

Make sure you leave the Saffire for Pro Tools ONLY and set your on board soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio.

Not sure if Focusrite has drivers for Windows 10. Hopefully others know and will chime in.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-14-2016, 04:27 PM

ah didn't think of that, I can't exactly find where to specify Saffire for Pro Tools only but I have disabled the exclusive mode in sound options in Windows and changed the sample rate...thanks for that.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:31 AM

There's no place to set the Saffire for PT only in Windows, you set it to be used by PT in Setup in PT. However, Control Panel>Sound is where you set the onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio, both playback and record. Not sure about your motherboard, but on mine, it's Realtek, Speakers for playback and Microphone for record.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-15-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
There's no place to set the Saffire for PT only in Windows, you set it to be used by PT in Setup in PT. However, Control Panel>Sound is where you set the onboard soundcard as the default for Windows sounds/audio, both playback and record. Not sure about your motherboard, but on mine, it's Realtek, Speakers for playback and Microphone for record.
I have seen this mentioned repeatedly here.
I went into the bios on my motherboard and disabled my on board sound.
Is that something I should not have done?
I just figured I wouldn't have a problem with the windows default
sound issue that way.
Sorry for taking the thread off course.