Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 AM

Default volume fade on MIDI tracks

When I choose to do a fade on a MIDI track by creating a single point at the place where I want the fade to end from the point I've created for the beginning of the fade, it jumps to zero at that exact point, which is different from the behavior on aux tracks where there is a steady decline between the two points. I'm then forced to draw a line with several dots to zero.

Is there any setting I'm missing?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:26 AM

Default Re: volume fade on MIDI tracks

with "control" (mac) pressed you can draw any curve (the curve-type is selectable under the pencil-tool)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 06-13-2012, 07:46 AM

What i mean is that I would like to draw a single point in and have a straight line from the previous point to the one just drawn, which is the behavior on my aux tracks.

Instead the line jumps down (or up) at the exact point that I draw the new point, instead of creating a line from the previous point.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:55 AM

I did understand what you mean

but midi-volume is controller-data and has different behaviour than audio-volume, in PT you have to draw the curve

choose the pencil tool "Line" (or as said before with control pressed) and draw from the starting point to the end of your ddesired fade a straight line. The density of the controller data is selectable under preferences "Midi"

another way is to route your midi-instrument or VI to an aux-track and draw there your fades the same way as you do with audio-tracks

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIA...Rnu0Jfh-YsgftQ
Old 06-13-2012, 08:11 AM

or try automating AUDIO volume instead of Midi volume?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 08:20 AM

I can't use the instrument track in this instance, because the instrument I'm automating is Omnisphere, which has up to eight channels.

The problem isn't drawing the curve as much as making fine edits. It is often tedious to fix the curve.

I think it would be a nice option to be able to choose how i draw in my MIDI automation.

I know that a straight line can be implemented in to MIDI editing because the program I used before Pro Tools, Nuendo, did this.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM

Im still wondering if your using MIDI volume or Audio volume? Midi volume will not change until a "new note" is triggered.. so if you have a note that starts at the beginning and lasts till the end MIDI volume I believe is only sent when the note is triggered.. as in a value from 0-128... Audio volume will adjust the audio output of that midi VI and should follow the gradual fade... with multiple tracks you just make a group and then link the volumes.. then all 8 channels will follow the one curve you make. Maybe Im not understanding whats happening in your workflow.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:59 PM

The problem is I don't think you have audio volume on MIDI tracks. I need to use MIDI tracks with Omnisphere because it is multi tambral unless I'm missing somethihng.

I'm also not weeing a way I can use multi outputs with Omnisphere.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:21 PM

Ill look into that for you... I know the way I do it... is I make a MIDI track and then send that MIDI track to the VI track... using a keyboard to play midi into the midi track and then telling that midi track to output to your VI.. then you can use the VI track to automate all your data, including audio volume....

Ill get back with you further once I am at my studio.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I make a MIDI track and then send that MIDI track to the VI track... using a keyboard to play midi into the midi track and then telling that midi track to output to your VI.. then you can use the VI track to automate all your data, including audio volume....
Thanks very much for your reply.

The problem is that i believe that i would only be able to do one audio volume for my VI track and I usually use more than one of the eight channels in Omnisphere.