Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2003, 08:14 AM

Default New mix of song, please give me some input

Ok, this was done on an 001, the vocalist isn't the greatest (he needs work) but the mix seems good to me for what they wanted. Any opinions on tones, effects, compression etc... would be great.
Sold Me Out MP3 The first song is the newest one the other 2 are from an older session.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:20 AM

Default Re: New mix of song, please give me some input

Well... You could turn the Kick a bit. On the Overheads for the drums... Turn up the Highs to give the Cymbals a little "brilliance" If you can, pan the Hats Left. Ride Right. So on. And one final thing, get the singer a vocal coach. Other than that, sounds great.
Old 05-13-2003, 11:40 AM

Thanks for the input, the overheads are panned 70 to the left and 70 to the right, i agree they could use some high end, did you mean turn the kick up or down it didn't say which. The singer is going to a vocal coach but he's only been singing about 6 months and had the coach for about 3 months...he's definitely getting better but has lots of room to improve. If you listen to one of the 2 older songs you can tell he's improved since getting the coach. Do you think auto tune could correct his mistakes I've never used it and don't really know? It seems to be that if someone learns his vocal lines on guitar and then works with him on it he gets better at it, so maybe tuning his voice to allow him to hear what it should sound like would help? Thanks again....
Old 05-14-2003, 07:51 AM

bump
Old 05-14-2003, 09:15 AM

Hey! Not a bad mix... I have a feeling this band is going for the typical nu metal mix.. The only real big suggestion I have is to perhaps turn the guitars down, and the drums up. Add some brilliance to the cymbals, and make the kit sound real thick. One of the best ways to add some real umpf to a kit for a mix like this is to do a drum sub group. If you dont know how to do it, try this...
Create a stereo aux fader. Assign the input to one of the busses. On you kick, snare, and toms, send a pre fader aux send out that same buss. Solo up the stero fader, and mix the tracks to taste. Then add a compressor to that stereo aux and Squash the living sh*t out of it. Around 20db of gain reduction gets some great results. Try adding the cymbals to the drum sub mix, its a matter of taste, but im not usually a big fan of it. After this, mix the new subgroup in with your existing drum mix. Solo up all the drum tracks, including the sub mix, then mute the sub mix and un mute it, youll be amazed at the life it will add to the kit. It works great for rock stuff. This is also an alright way to simulate tape compression you normally get from analog tape.

Other than that, the mix sounds pretty good. You may want to bring the vocalist back in, and take the song line by line until he gets every line right. Its time consuming, but no one will enjoy vocals that out of tune on a record. If thats not possible, try auto tune. But that will probably take as long to tweak as it would to just get him back in and fix the out of tune vox. Do incredible amounts of punching in...every line if need be. A vocal will really make or break the song. Guitars sound pretty good, they may be lacking a little mid, but its all a matter of opinion. Nice job overall though! Are you located in Ohio? I noticed the band is. I live up by mansfield...
Old 05-15-2003, 09:13 AM

I'm in cinci, the band is in dayton, they actually played in columbus last night and are doing a lot of shows in ohio right now, that was one of their preproduction recordings, they are going to start on a full length in july with me. Hopefully the vocalist can do a better job since he's been working on the stuff alot, i've never used auto tune is it easy to get sounding good? The vocalist also seems to sing better and be more comfortable with his voice live, maybe i can get him in the flow next time they come in. Thanks for the input
Old 05-15-2003, 11:39 PM

I have used Antares Auto-tune before, and it is amazing! Once you know how to use it very well( know how the human voice looks graphed out ) it is very straight forward!
Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 AM

To really use auto-tune effectively, use Graphical mode to fix "problem" spots. It's far easier to fix pitch without having artificial vox (the cher effect) popping in unexpectedly.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:04 AM

I put the whole drum set in the sub mix.
Old 05-16-2003, 08:46 AM

Hey, i'm not sure if the auto tune would work for this guy, is he close enoughto being in tune? I fixed the mix a bunch thanks for the input, i'll post a new mix of it as soon as mp3.com updates.... thanks