Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2000, 11:45 PM

Default Digi 001 Mic Pre\'s

Does anyone else think that the 001 mic pre's are junk? I understand that the 001 is a project studio interface but couldn't they have put a little better pre's in...Maybe it is just my interface? The xlr inputs seem to work as they should, but the 1/4 inch inputs are pathetic...Anyone else have this problem...I'm curious if it's just mine or if other people are having the same problem
thanks
Old 06-11-2000, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Digi 001 Mic Pre\'s

I think you're missing the point a little, true the 001 is a project studio inferface, thus it contains a set of pre's (there just for convenience sake) but it is also made by a purly professional company, ever noticed how the 882 and 888 (Pro) interfaces don't have mic pre's? Thats because pro's will use their own pre's (that usually cost as much as an 888). Take it for what it is, either use the 2 built in pre's because they were included and it's convenient for you, or go by a couple channels of premium mic pre (whatever you can afford) it'll improve your sound tremendously.

P.S. if you are referring to the 1/4 inputs on the back of the Digi001, they sound "pathetic" because they aren't mic pre's, they are line inputs to the A/D converters (just like all the inputs on an 882 or 888), you have to use a mic pre to bring you signal up to line level to feed inputs 3-8. The only mic pre's on the Digi are 1+2.
Old 06-11-2000, 11:34 AM

Hey man i think your missing the point....i know the difference between the line inputs in back and the mic pre's in front....what i was asking was if i am the only one having a problem with the 1/4 inch plugs in inputs 1 and 2....mine suck..that was the question...i rarely use the digi 001 pre's anyhow but when i am in a jam and need to use it, it would be nice if they sounded a little better...
Old 06-11-2000, 03:50 PM

I'm sorry, I didn't even consider that you could be talking about the 1/4 inch plugson the front because they are wired exactly the same as the XLR's on the front to the same mic pre!!!! they should sound identical. The only difference will be what you plug in to them. Once again you haven't really left enough info to comment, but I assume you are trying to run a guitar directly in? That would be your problem, more info please, what are you running into these pre's that makes them sound "pathetic"?
Old 06-11-2000, 07:25 PM

Actually, I'm pretty happy with the two built-in mic pre's. I've had no problems with them and don't feel any strong need to replace them

Sure, you can buy better ones, but only if you are willing to spend as much as the whole 001 cost by itself for a single mic pre.
Old 06-11-2000, 10:09 PM

I am gonna put an arf in for Jonny. They do bite (and not like me either)

They can't handle a signal. Period. If you do have a mic pre- it certainly requires a pad on the output. That includes use with the 001's star inputs: 1 & 2

What about T/R/S on the back? Those jacks cost only pennies more & circuitry now is common place that easily handles both hi or low z T/S or T/R/S respectively.

If you are going to build a 24 bit unit, for release in the beginning of the 21st Century, you could do better than that.

Old 06-12-2000, 02:41 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by shaggy:
I am gonna put an arf in for Jonny. They do bite (and not like me either)

They can't handle a signal. Period. If you do have a mic pre- it certainly requires a pad on the output. That includes use with the 001's star inputs: 1 & 2

What about T/R/S on the back? Those jacks cost only pennies more & circuitry now is common place that easily handles both hi or low z T/S or T/R/S respectively.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm confused - all of the inputs on the 001 are balanced and have TRS jacks.

It's the outputs 3-8 are unbalanced.

AS far as setting levels goes and needing a pad to work with an outboard mic pre, have you tried adjusting the levels in the playback engine?

They are adjustable.

Old 06-12-2000, 10:12 AM

JK,

If I've understood you correcly, I may be having the same issue.

I'm completely satisfied with the mic pres as PRES (i.e., the pre-amplification at inputs 1 and 2 suits my purposes as a hobbyist). HOWEVER, the signal cuts out every so often when I use 1/4" cables (yes, I've pushed them all the way in, and I've used different cables).

I've contacted Digi about this, and plan to return my 001 for repair.

While we're on the subject...

Overall, I'm very pleased with Digi (their product, this awsome user's conference, etc.), so I get bummed when I see people try to trash them here (holy schom!). But I must admit also being bummed that:

1) I can't take my 001 to an authorized repair guy in NYC to fix my mic pres (gotta send it to Palo Alto, CA...which sucks for all the obvious reasons [gotta tear my studio apart, loose project days, etc.]), and,

2) I have to pay for shipping to rectify something that isn't my fault (they said they'll cover the return shipping).

As this product blows up and becomes a major revenue source for Avid, or Digi, or whoever, I imagine they will ramp up their local product repair resources in the future.

Until then...

[This message has been edited by EdCastillo (edited June 12, 2000).]
Old 06-12-2000, 10:25 AM

ok its not just my oo1 then.... the xlr inputs wor great, but the 1/4 inch inputs cut out as shaggy also said...I did do a test with a guitar and the signal constantly cut out...When i cut vox i used it as a test with an xlr and it was fine....i still choose to use outboard pre's but if i am in a ajam i will stick to the xlr's!!!
Old 06-12-2000, 01:25 PM

hhmmm, well, I'm glad you got your problem solved Jonny... funny though... in your original post you never mention anything about INTERMITANT 1/4inch jacks, you just state that they "are pathetic", and then you follow up by asking if "other people are having the same problem"....?!? if others are having a problem with "pathetic" 1/4inch jacks on their Digi? more info usually helps.