Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 07:38 AM

Default Apogee HD-X card............?

Has anyone tried the X card with A/D D/A?
Old 06-30-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Apogee HD-X card............?

No, but I just ordered one with the Rosetta 200. I know people have been using the X-MIX cards with no/few problems. . .

/jim
Old 06-30-2004, 05:07 PM

Please post when you get it working, any problems, sounds great or bad, Digi card will see interface as a 192 or something else........Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 05:27 PM

I'm between computers right now, so it will be a while. But I'll post all my findings.

/jim
Old 07-06-2004, 03:40 PM

Quote:
That's the CARD my friend ,,,, we are talking about the Apogee Rosetta 200 w/ the HD Card....
I know the original post subject is just about the card,,, but then we all started talking about the new Rosetta 200 with the Pro Tools HD Card, and it's quality............
Quote:
No, but I just ordered one with the Rosetta 200. I know people have been using the X-MIX cards with no/few problems. . .

/jim

ooops...

/jim
Old 07-06-2004, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Is the A/D or D/A quality noticeably better? I havent read anyone complain about the 192 and I havent seen any credible tests showing the Apogee is better.
There will never be any credible tests showing that any converter is better than the other, since it's all somewhat subjective. One person mentioned that he preferred the 888 over the AD8000 for certain things, which is certainly an inferior converter, spec-wise...but unlike microphone preamps, when it comes to converters the goal is generally to produce as accurate a box as possible and leave the coloration to other devices. In my personal experience, I can say that the older version of the AD16 seemed to be more accurate than the 192. I did a listening test with some other people where we were able to hear the two converters along with the actual analog signal, and we all agreed that the Apogee sounded more like the analog signal. However, we also agreed that the difference was very subtle, and that if we didn't have the original signal to reference we wouldn't have necessarily agreed on which sounded "better". That was the original AD16, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if the difference with the Rosetta 800 or especially the AD16X was less subtle.

Quote:
Bottom line is the Apogee not only sounds better, AND DOES MORE cool stuff
It may sound better to most people, but in many ways the 192 is a much more flexible box...

[QUOTE]
That does make me wonder if the the firewire card would work in place of an Mbox. Anyone know? [/quote

Yes, it won't work.

Quote:
And I don't sound like an Apogee advertisement.
Honestly, you don't...you sound way more hyped than any Apogee advertisement.

Quote:
And they have this "newer" circutry that is supposedly even better than Big Ben,, because as a company they are always learning more
The clocking circuitry isn't better than Big Ben...and Big Ben doesn't have any analog circuitry. The circuitry in the AD16X is supposed to be an improvement over the circuitry in the Rosetta 800, so the AD16X is supposed to sound even better than a Rosetta 800/Big Ben combination.

-Duardo
Old 07-06-2004, 06:22 PM

dealer just told me that it's late august for the rosetta 200. hmmm. can't wait that long.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:22 PM

Quote:
And I don't sound like an Apogee advertisement.
Quote:
Honestly, you don't...you sound way more hyped than any Apogee advertisement.
Quote:
And they have this "newer" circutry that is supposedly even better than Big Ben,, because as a company they are always learning more
Quote:
The clocking circuitry isn't better than Big Ben...and Big Ben doesn't have any analog circuitry. The circuitry in the AD16X is supposed to be an improvement over the circuitry in the Rosetta 800, so the AD16X is supposed to sound even better than a Rosetta 800/Big Ben combination.

-Duardo
O.k.,,, I didn't say ANALOG or CLOCKING circutry, I said "circutry" meaning wires, chips, electric stuff we don't understand,,, and yes learn your stuff,, the newer items including the Rosetta 200 AND AD16-X / DA16-X is got better "stuff" going on inside than their previous stuff..... period...
and the Rosetta 800 is old now so all their new stuff is better than it.......... Have you learned about the "Coda" feature on The Rosetta 200 yet ??? If not,, then do..
And I don't sound more Hyped than a Apogee Ad... I'M HYPED ABOUT MY BALLER A#$ STUDIO (he he)... BUT you are right about that AD16-X and the D/A16-X ,, ,,, them puppies are hot, and is actually BETTER than the 200 (but I need A/D and D/A and that would be about $6,000.00 if not more for both them units. The 200 is a A/D D/A unit in one, is pretty damn cool, has the same circutry, as the 16-X's, EXCEPT FOR THAT C777 Clock(I know), and it has that "coda" thing, and I got it ordered and 100% paid for , for about $1,400.00 from GC... Can't beat that deal for a A/D/ D/A quality Apogee converter that does 192 with their famous quality......... But don't get me wrong,,, I know there are better out there..... But NOT FOR THAT PRICE !!! You gotta agree.....
Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 AM

Hey ,, I got one of those Rosetta 200's ordered as well (they keep pushing back the shipping date!!)..
And my system is up and running fine, I'm currently useing a "LOANER" Digi 192,,, so I will post back asap about my findings once is here.. I did call Apogee long before ordering,along with extensive comparasons amongst the others(AD/DA Converters), and it seems it's gunna be BAD ASS !!!! (Especially for the money,, I would say with-out a doubt,, it's gunna be the "best bang for the buck").......... Type to ya soon.................
Old 07-03-2004, 12:14 PM

Maybe someone can point out what I am missing, but why would anyone buy an Apogee converter with an HD-X card over a 192?

Is the A/D or D/A quality noticeably better? I havent read anyone complain about the 192 and I havent seen any credible tests showing the Apogee is better. Sure, Apogee have ads with some engineers and Eddie Van Halen saying the Apogee is better, but for all I know Van Halen is probably deaf.

What confidence do you have that the HD-X will keep working with the next version of Pro Tools or the next firmware rev of the core cards from Digi or the next hardware from Digi?

Personally I think it is a large risk for very little potential gain. I would rather stick with the 192 and spend the money on a nice pre or a mic.