Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 06-01-2021, 08:40 PM

Default MTRX Studio and Dante Virtual Soundcard

Hi guys,

I just received my MTRX Studio and I've been having trouble getting any signal to show up in DADman. The unit connects fine in the Device List. I have Dante Controller and Dante Virtual Soundcard (trial version) installed. I do not have any HDX interfaces.

I'm not too sure about how the routing matrix needs to be configured in Dante Controller, but with the default stereo configuration in DADman, I can't get any signal to show up.

Any idea on what I could be doing wrong?

EDIT: Ok, messing around Dante Controller helped get my system audio routed!

Last edited by Ooptron; 06-01-2021 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:24 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and Dante Virtual Soundcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooptron View Post
Hi guys,

I just received my MTRX Studio and I've been having trouble getting any signal to show up in DADman. The unit connects fine in the Device List. I have Dante Controller and Dante Virtual Soundcard (trial version) installed. I do not have any HDX interfaces.

I'm not too sure about how the routing matrix needs to be configured in Dante Controller, but with the default stereo configuration in DADman, I can't get any signal to show up.

Any idea on what I could be doing wrong?

EDIT: Ok, messing around Dante Controller helped get my system audio routed!
Hi, I would definitely get the Dante License and also make sure you have the latest updates of all of your firmware. I have MTRX, not MTRX Studio, so I think it's the same in routing, but there are a lot of tutorials online. YouTube etc.
It's a good setup for you!
G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-02-2021, 09:10 AM

I would also recommend the Dante license for the virtual sound card. I don't think you need it for the controller though.

I had a hard time thinking about the routing matrix in Dadman and I think I finally figured it out. If you just think of it from left to right -- inputs to outputs -- it's a lot easier to reason about. I just think, "What input do I want to connect to which outputs". I found that asking "What outputs to which inputs?" never seemed to work. Maybe it's possible? It's just a lot easier doing inputs to outputs.

There's also the additional layer of routing that needs to be configured in the Dante controller application to route audio into the Studio MTRX. Make sure that the devices in the controller application have the same sample rate as what is configured in the Conf window in Dadman for Sync or else no audio will be routed. I set the sample rate in Dadman to "Adapt to DigiLink 1" which is the Studio MTRX and then use the Audio Midi Setup utility to set the default core audio sample rate for the HDX card. I think I do this because I've got an HDIO as well which clocks off of the Studio MTRX. If you don't have any HDIO interfaces I guess you can stick to "Internal"? Might need to check the manual to figure out which is best for you.

I'm a real fan of Dante and the Dadman routing matrix now that I understand what's possible with the two.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-02-2021, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glogulus2003 View Post
I would also recommend the Dante license for the virtual sound card. I don't think you need it for the controller though.

I had a hard time thinking about the routing matrix in Dadman and I think I finally figured it out. If you just think of it from left to right -- inputs to outputs -- it's a lot easier to reason about. I just think, "What input do I want to connect to which outputs". I found that asking "What outputs to which inputs?" never seemed to work. Maybe it's possible? It's just a lot easier doing inputs to outputs.

There's also the additional layer of routing that needs to be configured in the Dante controller application to route audio into the Studio MTRX. Make sure that the devices in the controller application have the same sample rate as what is configured in the Conf window in Dadman for Sync or else no audio will be routed. I set the sample rate in Dadman to "Adapt to DigiLink 1" which is the Studio MTRX and then use the Audio Midi Setup utility to set the default core audio sample rate for the HDX card. I think I do this because I've got an HDIO as well which clocks off of the Studio MTRX. If you don't have any HDIO interfaces I guess you can stick to "Internal"? Might need to check the manual to figure out which is best for you.

I'm a real fan of Dante and the Dadman routing matrix now that I understand what's possible with the two.

Hope this helps!
Yes, that is what I meant actually..-:). Get the license for sure.. Also make sure to save All and save your setting in the setup, that way it's alway there and Locked in. G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 06-02-2021, 10:17 AM
Avid

It may also help to think of the crosspoint matrix routing in DADman (the Con section) as Input = Source, Output = Destination. This seems a bit more logical to me when performing patching.

With Pro Tools + DADman + Dante, you essentially have 3 different places to think about channels, labels and signal flow. Perhaps some more signal flow videos would be beneficial for these kinds of applications and workflows.

:)

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 06-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
It may also help to think of the crosspoint matrix routing in DADman (the Con section) as Input = Source, Output = Destination. This seems a bit more logical to me when performing patching.

With Pro Tools + DADman + Dante, you essentially have 3 different places to think about channels, labels and signal flow. Perhaps some more signal flow videos would be beneficial for these kinds of applications and workflows.

Jeff
Yes! That would be awesome!
Old 06-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:

Jeff
Thanks for chiming in Jeff-:).
Old 06-02-2021, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys.

It would be great if Avid puts out a few videos for routing without HDX/DigiLink and using DVS/Dante Controller instead. It took me a day or 2 to realise I needed the Dante Controller app running and routed as well, just to listen to system audio.

I will definitely pick up the DVS license and I'm hoping to have everything setup and running for Atmos in Nuendo.

Can the S3 control the monitor section or is that only for the Dock/S6?
Old 06-03-2021, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Jeff
Hope Avid makes a few videos for using the MTRX Studio with DVS. It took me 2 days to figure out I needed the Dante Controller installed as well. I almost sent the unit back.

I also wish DAD and Dante would modernise their GUI for DADman and Dante Controller.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:09 PM

So you can run MTRX or MTRX Studio without an HDX card? Is that sort of like having a "Native" system but with the benefit of MTRX conversion and routing? All you need is a Dante add-on hardware and the Dante Virtual Soundcard? Then in the future you could upgrade to take full advantage of the MTRX by adding the HDX card?