Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2020, 04:13 AM

Default Routing folder issue

Having an issue with routing folders. I create folders when I'm ready to mix. I create a group with all the routing folders and any individual tracks. I then create a VCA track assigned to the just created group. In the edit screen visually I have folders and individual tracks and then my 2-bus. The problem is the VCA track goes underneath the 2-bus aux and I'd like to have it above the 2-bus aux.

You'd think the simple deal of moving the VCA track just above the 2-bus aux right? Not. If I move the VCA track above the 2-bus aux and there's a routing folder right above the 2-bus aux the VCA track gets added to the routing folder. Okay - I then right-click on the VCA track to move it to to the top level which puts it where I want right above the 2-bus aux.

Am I doing something wrong or what? I'll accept pilot error and not fully understanding routing folders but is this yet another anomaly in the way routing folders are working? Or is this the way they're supposed to work?

BTW dumping prefs did NOT help. That almost never helps with the issues I come up with.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2020, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Routing folder issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Having an issue with routing folders. I create folders when I'm ready to mix. I create a group with all the routing folders and any individual tracks. I then create a VCA track assigned to the just created group. In the edit screen visually I have folders and individual tracks and then my 2-bus. The problem is the VCA track goes underneath the 2-bus aux and I'd like to have it above the 2-bus aux.

You'd think the simple deal of moving the VCA track just above the 2-bus aux right? Not. If I move the VCA track above the 2-bus aux and there's a routing folder right above the 2-bus aux the VCA track gets added to the routing folder. Okay - I then right-click on the VCA track to move it to to the top level which puts it where I want right above the 2-bus aux.

Am I doing something wrong or what? I'll accept pilot error and not fully understanding routing folders but is this yet another anomaly in the way routing folders are working? Or is this the way they're supposed to work?

BTW dumping prefs did NOT help. That almost never helps with the issues I come up with.
Humm ?? (You might post some screen shots) BUT If I do understand what you are saying,,,, I think I figured it out.. and if I am correct and it's not a glitch in your system ,,,, then yes you are simply overflying the target and dropping your bomb to late

Assuming when you first try to move it you are putting the cursor right in the middle of the VCA track name, left clicking, holding, and dragging the cursor "straight" up ? What you are doing is moving the VCA track too far straight up and not enough to the left.

So when you first start to drag the VCA track up , also move the cursor left at least into the 2-bus track "color bar" in an up and left direction , Then pay attention to the thin yellow exterior bracketing lines, that will show about the time you are 1/2 up into the left side of the 2-bus track color bar *** (hint easier if make the tracks medium size at least) ,,,Any way you will see the yellow bracket lines show going up the left side of the 2-bus and Folder track/s,,,,,, between the 2-bus and next folder track ,,,,But also there will still be a yellow line going down the left side of the 2-bus and VCA track,,, release the click then and the VCA will land below the folder track and above the 2-Bus....... If you go to far up, the yellow line going down the left side of 2-bus and VCA tracks will disappear, and your bomb will land in the folder track

BTW I think this move is much easier in the mix window where you can simply click the VCA track name and drag it directly left and an again when you are about 1/2 way thru the 2-bus track, the vertical yellow line will show between the 2 -bus and and Folder track,, and then just release the click and it's done

Hope this helps cause I still owe ya for the dark theme stuff

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 12-22-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:33 PM

You nailed it my friend. Was going crazy with this. On a bit of a time crunch as I got a surprise commission to redo a version of The Nutcracker Suite I'd done 3 years ago in PT 11.3.2.

BTW you owe me nothing for the dark theme stuff. Just glad I was able to help someone out; what I did was the kind of thing I liked doing years ago with programming and making things happen that wasn't supposed to happen (at least by the whims of the programmers). Just for grins I fired up an old session in PT 2019.6 and was like I just couldn't deal with it. Thought all the color went out in my video card or monitor.

Something to keep in mind is before you update to PT 2020.12 make a copy of the modified dark mode file because the update might overwrite the customized file. Haven't done that update yet. Need to finish my commission first.

QAPLA!
Old 12-22-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You nailed it my friend. Was going crazy with this. On a bit of a time crunch as I got a surprise commission to redo a version of The Nutcracker Suite I'd done 3 years ago in PT 11.3.2.

BTW you owe me nothing for the dark theme stuff. Just glad I was able to help someone out; what I did was the kind of thing I liked doing years ago with programming and making things happen that wasn't supposed to happen (at least by the whims of the programmers). Just for grins I fired up an old session in PT 2019.6 and was like I just couldn't deal with it. Thought all the color went out in my video card or monitor.

Something to keep in mind is before you update to PT 2020.12 make a copy of the modified dark mode file because the update might overwrite the customized file. Haven't done that update yet. Need to finish my commission first.
Hey you were reading my mind... I just was looking at the release notes for 2020.12 thinking of at least down loading it for my PT versions file and wondering about the modded color file .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...