Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM

Default Terrible White Noise Bursts - Mbox 2 Pro / MacBook Pro

I've been into many other threads related to this issue. There are over 1400 so I can't read every one with every response posted but I've tried everything possible to remedy this issue based on other people's similar setups. I've removed all but the digi-plugs that came with my new mbox PT software and Autotune which has been updated and is compatible. There are no longer any Prefs folders to bag with the new PT version and I run disk utility on my drive to fix permissions weekly. What else can I do other than beg for a solution. Somebody please help before I lose my mind and smash my mbox.

Here's my story...

I downgraded to an Mbox Pro a few months ago and unfortunately sold my Digi 002R. I thought that not long from now, the 002r would be discontinued from future release support so I decided to "upgrade" to an Mbox 2 Pro for a more mobile setup and to be sure I'd be covered on new release compatibility. I also bought a new MacBook Pro this past Oct (late 2009). You can see all my computer specs and what OS and PT version I have in my signature.

Basically, my "white noise issue" has become unbearable. What an f'in drag on creativity or "vibe" when you're in the middle of a session with a client and they get blasted in their phones with white-noise in intermittent times sometimes lasting up to 30 seconds. It also happens using Core Audio to listen to iTunes, while working in Abletons or just while listening to streaming audio from the internet. Basically it can happen at anytime while using core audio to hear something from my computer. I know i'm not rocking an HD rig so therefore can't call it a "Professional" recording rig, but I did drop about 4 grand on what I'm working with and this kind of issue is simply unacceptable.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Terrible White Noise Bursts - Mbox 2 Pro / MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gorey View Post
You can see all my computer specs and what OS and PT version I have in my signature.
Guess not...here's my system setup

System Details
OSX 10.6.4
PT LE 8.0.4
MBOX 2 Pro

Ableton Live 8
Reason 3.0

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Old 07-24-2010, 12:41 AM

sorry! But i think it`s all about USB! I cannot believe that Digidesign still "has" this Problem. I also had this terrible Noise at 200% Volume on my headphones and i also had people running out of the stuido. This is really bad.

In 2003 On my PowerMac G5 with MBOX 1 it helped to change the USB-Port and using the original Cable. BUT: I only helped reducing the counts of failures...

This is also a reason why i recently bought the FIREWIRE BASED DIDI003 Rack+! Never again i`ll use USB-Based Audiointerfaces. Sorry but i think have to read further.
I tried several progs, fixes and cables but it never fixed the whole Problem complete.

PS: Working on my iBook G4 never made Problems.
Sorry that i have no solution for....you`re not alone with this problem.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:03 PM

The thing is that I'm using the newer Mbox 2 Pro that came with PT 8 and uses Firewire. I am going from FW 800 to 400 and the cable is very high quality.
This kind of issue is absolutely unacceptable. I had a 002r that worked flawlessly with the exception of a few software issues over 5 years. I paid "$700" for something I can't even use. That is f'in unacceptable. I can't even begin to explain how angry I am.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Gorey View Post
Guess not...here's my system setup

System Details
OSX 10.6.4
PT LE 8.0.4
MBOX 2 Pro

Ableton Live 8
Reason 3.0

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Just wanted to add any other info that may be pertinent.

This happens when I run straight from the laptop to the MBox 2 Pro FW 800 to FW 400. I have a Targus PA055 U USB 2.0 splitter to for an Akai APC 40, and LPK 25, my iLok and iPod. I do not have the iPod plugged in. It happens with nothing plugged in and with using any configuration of the 2 USB ports.

The white noise blasts at whatever volume the monitor out knob is turned to and comes through the phones and monitor outputs. It occurs in random intervals while working in Pro Tools and while just using CoreAudio to listen to iTunes, internet audio, Ableton Live and Reason as standalone. I have experienced the white noise since the first day of owning the MBox 2 Pro a couple months ago. It came with a new PT license and PT 8, which I upgraded from CS to 8.0.4 and had the noise issue through every release. I haven't pursued a solution until now because I thought the upgrades would fix such a widespread problem and because I was working in the studio on an HD rig with no issues. Now it's time to fly in drum tracks and work at home with my clients and this is the [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] I have to put up with until someone figures out how to address it. Of course my technical support is up after 30 days. What a terrible way to deal with customer service. There are so many issues with your products that your CONSUMERS have to PAY to beta test and then have to PAY for assistance when things don't work like they should. I'm f'in livid right now and am not far from writing a letter to:
Paul Senechal
Vice President of Supply and Technology
Avid Technology
75 Network Drive
Burlington, MA 01803
Tel: 978 640 6789
Fax: 978 640 3366

Like he'll really give a [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] but maybe I'll get some more assistance if I start lighting more fires. Grrr
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Bump
Old 07-24-2010, 07:52 PM

Hello?! BUMP BUMP
Old 07-24-2010, 11:42 PM

Phil....sorry you are having issues...I feel your pain. The thing is though, getting on here and going off to the point of being bleeped multiple times is not going to help you at all though. Surely you realize this?

I had white noise issues with Eleven Rack. I went through the right channels and filed the request for support exactly to the letter and tech support were outstanding with me. They shipped me out a new unit to try and worked with me. Somehow in my case the issue went away and quite frankly after trying so many things I forgot where I started. Itmay have been as simple as trying a different USB port.

So I have no advice but some questions.....

Is 10.6.4 supported by Pro Tools?

Have you considered that many are having issues with 8.0.4?

Did you try the 8.0.3cs update?

Is the 800 to 400 adaptor possibly an issue?

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide to the letter?

Did you make 100% sure all plug in's are the latest versions? Even though they came with the MBox2.

Is Reason 3 compatible? You say you removed everything that did not come with the MBox......did you remove Reason 3?

Did you update the Mac OS using the Combo Updater or using software update on the Mac?

Hey man, give Tech Support a shout via E mail....hang in there and wait for them to get back.

Try to back up and just go through the process one change at a time and document what you do so you don't forget. Re-read the troubleshooting guide and try different cables yada yada...it might be something simple you overlooked.....repair permissions more than once.....make sure you select the actual HD with the name of the drive and not just Mac HD...this sort of thing....be anal about it and try not lose your mind over it.
2TB Solid State Drive
Thunderbolt 4
Sonoma 14.1.2
Pro Tools 2023.9
Universal Audio Apollo 8P (TB3 Option Card installed)
Old 07-25-2010, 01:59 AM

If it were me I would try:

1) a different FireWire cable.
2) use only the mbox and ilok as peripherals just to possibly eliminate the akai, Ipod or splitter.
3) remove autotune from the plugins folder.
4) remove the reason rewire from the propellerheads reason folder so it doesn't show in pro tools.

I'd do them one at a time and see if anything helps the issue.

I had White noise issues back on pro tools 6.9.2 on tiger. Never had it since.

Several posters with this issue are using snow so wonder whether that could be the underlying factor???

Also make sure bluetooth and airport are switched off.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM

It seems crazy to have to turn off everything. Reason, Autotune, Bluetooth and Wireless. Shouldn't this software work with all of the above running? It used to with my Digi002R. I'm not giving up using Reason as a creative tool and literally all of my original software is back in storage so I can't reinstall Reason or Autotune or PT until I return from HI to the mainland which is in 3 months. As far as the usb goes, I have used only the iLock and had the same issue. I have used it in both USB ports. I'm not sure what else I can do about the FW 800 to 400 if that is the issue because there is only one FW port on the computer and it happens with both FW 400 ports on the Mbox. I have tried three different cables with the same noise. With the software update I clicked "Software Update" up in my Apple pull down. When verifying permissions on my drive I choose the main HD.
Also, once I figure out the issues with Pro Tools,am I still going to get white noise if I use for Mbox for different Core Audio apps like iTunes, internet and Standalone Soft-synths? I'd have to disconnect all my audio and hook it up another way every time I switched between regular system use and PT use.

I appreciate these recommendations to try and figure out what's causing the issue but shouldn't PT work despite running it with normal every day apps and internet. The circular motion of trying to work this out while I lose business is making me insanely angry.

Also, I'm not dogging tech support. I'm yelling at the developers that push out products without them being fully tested. WE pay for the testing and troubleshooting. That is terrible customer service. We should be allowed at least 6 months of free phone support if they're going to push an untested product that doesn't work. It's one thing to have small glitches but another to have an issue that literally stops consumer productivity. What if Adobe Illustrator put out an update that cause random images to be drawn on top of your work? The 30 day phone support shows that they have too many problems to deal with so they have to charge US to deal with them. It's just not right.