Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Default Analog insert Delay Compensation

I am still scoping out a PTHD system for my hybrid digital analog studio. I have Apogee 16 ADX and 16 DAX converters that I like (I haven't hear the PT converters). I expect to be doing a fair amount of inserting analog gear into channel strips during mixing. I understand that delay/latency compensation is automatic if one uses the Digi converters. If I stick with the Apogee converters how big of a pain is it to adjust for the delay/latency of analog inserts? It has been years since using PT and I am looking for simplicity.

If it ends up a big pain my option would be to go with the Digi converters!
Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Analog insert Delay Compensation

Not sure about the Apogee but the Lynx Aurora has been design to have the exact same delay as the 192.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:07 PM

You're in luck. While the Apogee converters have slightly more delay than a 192, you can enter additional delay compensation values in the I/O setup for hardware inserts. So you can compensate for the additional I/O latency incurred, but only when using as a hardware insert.

Look on Apogee's website for an explanation and a rather vague helper app called adcalc. If that isn't clear enough, print a test signal and run it through a hardware insert to a new track and measure and calculate the additional latency and enter it in the I/O setup.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 PM

Thanks for the help folks,
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 PM

With PT, if I use an analog channel insert in conjunction with plugin inserts on the same channels or within the same mixes, and if I have entered the proper numbers in the PT setup will mixes work without inappropriate channel delay/latency. Again, I am not familiar with the finer points of PT.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
With PT, if I use an analog channel insert in conjunction with plugin inserts on the same channels or within the same mixes, and if I have entered the proper numbers in the PT setup will mixes work without inappropriate channel delay/latency.
Yes, this will work. As long as you have set up your outboard gear properly as inserts, and have entered the correct amount of delay that your gear introduce to the chain, you're good to go.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:41 PM

Actually, the Apogee AD & DA16X converters are faster than the 192 so you have to add a little delay.

Also, since Apogee has released new firmware, you just enter in a delay value in the I/O setup under "H/W Insert Delay Compensation" and Pro Tools automatically adds that delay to an insert. No more adcalc.

I have saved my I/O setups so when I start a new session I just import those setups. It is actually really easy.
I am using it everyday with no problems on an HD3 Accel with PT v 7.3 and an AD & DA 16X.

Check out page 9 of the X-HD card manual.
X-HD Manual pdf

Hope this helps.

Quote:
You're in luck. While the Apogee converters have slightly more delay than a 192, you can enter additional delay compensation values in the I/O setup for hardware inserts. So you can compensate for the additional I/O latency incurred, but only when using as a hardware insert.

Look on Apogee's website for an explanation and a rather vague helper app called adcalc. If that isn't clear enough, print a test signal and run it through a hardware insert to a new track and measure and calculate the additional latency and enter it in the I/O setup.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Again, many thanks to everyone for shedding light on this topic.