Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-21-2002, 01:59 AM

Default Focusrite ISA 220/digital card/001

Hi,

I am a voice over artist and have an Isa 220 with the digital card on order, due to be delivered on Tuesday or Wednesday. I am upgrading from a Platinum Voice master.

I need to get some details on how to connect the 220 to my current system. I work a lot via ISDN and need to get a very clean signal path into the codec (a Pronto 2). I used all three of the outputs on my Voice master in the following way:

+4 output through a splitter cable to the L and R inputs on the ISDN codec.
+4 pre de-ess output to my Digidesign 001.
-10 output to my Mackie 1402 desk for headphone monitoring.

This has been great as I have had a clean path to the ISDN codec and have not had to go through the Mackie which adds unnecessary noise and also has no bypass switch for the EQ and gain - defeating the object of having a good preamp etc. It is has also allowed the same clean path to the 001. The other benefit has been that I haven't had have to unplug or re plug anything when switching between ISDN and hard disk recorded sessions.

From what I can see in the brochure, the 220 only has one +4 output. If I send this to the ISDN codec, how do I monitor myself through my headphones?

The ISDN codec has an AES/EBU input. Should I just connect the AES/EBU output from the 220 to the AES/EBU input on the codec and bypass the codec's A/D converters? Also Digi 001 doesn't have Superclock - do I just connnect the Spdif out from the 220 to the Spdif input on the 001. Is there anything else I need to do ?

This would leave the +4 output to go to my desk for headphone monitoring, and is how I am hoping that I will be able to use the unit.

Also has anybody used the converters on the 220. Are they good - I'm hoping for an improvement over 001.

Best wishes,

MHVoiceUK
http://www.voice-overs.cc