Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Training

Old 10-18-2022, 06:11 PM

Default Best Avid backlit keyboard for PT Studio from Avid?

I see the Logic key ASTRA 2 backlit keyboard, for just under $150 sold at Shop.Avid.com. So I bought it!
I have PT Studio version 2022.9 running on Windows 10. Is this the best keyboard that Avid sells?

On youtube there are reviews of others, such as the Editors Keys keyboard that was also made for Avid, but had multiple shortcuts per key, versus single shortcuts per key on the Astra keyboard.

The Logic Astra keyboard looks like the ONLY one sold now on Shop.Avid.com. Is one better or different for shortcuts? Should I send the Astra back to Avid, and find the Editors keyboard because it has multiple shortcuts per key?

Also what happens when Avid does updates? Can you update the keyboard?
Thanks!

Last edited by ihate100bees; 10-20-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Best Avid backlit keyboard for PT Studio from Avid?

Not sure what you mean about updates. No keyboard I have used has ever called for any update. I had the previous Avid-branded keyboard which I liked very much(until my ex partner spilled his coffee on it)though I don't remember if it was back-lit. Now I am using the Astra version and am pretty happy with it(though I think both are/were over-priced)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-28-2022, 04:41 PM

Well... for instance in Logic Audio there has been new updates, new shortcuts of what I hear. PT adds things now and then and I was just wondering if there was a way to get any new shortcuts on areas that are newly developed. Actually, I purchased the NEWER Astra 2 keyboard and it's pretty basic... I wish they would have had at least 3 shortcuts per key but only one?? It's a nice keyboard , 3.0 usb and has bigger usb cables as well for durability. So I will keep it. But for the price, I think they should have more advanced shortcuts on it. I know you can go in and change the shortcut but it will still say, what ever it currently says on the key. Anyways, I guess no biggy. I'll give it a month to see if I could live without it! Thanks for your feedback!
Old 11-01-2022, 09:18 AM

Sounds like you should consider one of the many USB keypads that are totally customizable. I've seen a couple that are a strip with a single row that could sit directly above or below your keyboard

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-01-2022, 06:24 PM

...yeah maybe. I mean I'm really trying to work with the Astra 2 but I just don't think it's advanced enough for the shortcuts that are NOT the basic one's. Maybe on the next version. But it is a nice keyboard, not sure worth the price though. My 2 cents.