Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 02-23-2022, 06:53 PM

Default MTRX Studio with Dante Virtual Sound Card

I’m going to replace my HDIO on the main PT HDX system with an Avid MTRX Studio. This is where it will live 99% of the time connected via the two digilink connectors to the HDX card in my Mac Pro tower.

What I’m wondering is if for occasional travel use would the MTRX Studio work as a laptop interface using just Ethernet and Dante Virtual Sound Card software? Ie no HDX card on the laptop.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:19 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante Virtual Sound Card

Yes
Old 02-24-2022, 12:00 AM

The Dante virtual sound cards becomes your interface/playback engine. The MTRX is a switchbox/matrix connected where you can input the Dante and output to analog using Dadman, but it doesn't show up in Protools as your interface. That's only when connected to Protools via digilink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
The Dante virtual sound cards becomes your interface/playback engine. The MTRX is a switchbox/matrix connected where you can input the Dante and output to analog using Dadman, but it doesn't show up in Protools as your interface. That's only when connected to Protools via digilink.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.
thx, I'm aware of how it "should" work. Just wondering if it really does. I'd like to be able to use the MTRX Studio as my laptop interface to drive my monitors when I'm on vacation, etc.
Genelec 1031AP/7070A 5.1 monitoring.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
thx, I'm aware of how it "should" work. Just wondering if it really does. I'd like to be able to use the MTRX Studio as my laptop interface to drive my monitors when I'm on vacation, etc.
Definitely works, but DVS has higher latency (4/6/10ms) and I've had trouble getting it to work with the builtin Ethernet port of newer Macs. And it doesn't yet support Apple Silicon. But a new version is supposedly in testing...
Old 02-24-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
Definitely works, but DVS has higher latency (4/6/10ms) and I've had trouble getting it to work with the builtin Ethernet port of newer Macs. And it doesn't yet support Apple Silicon. But a new version is supposedly in testing...
Jeff said something about Dante interfaces not working well or maybe even not working at all with the Mac Pro 10 GbE ports and that he recommended using a usb network adapter. Kind of sad if that is the case.. how can it possibly not work with something when these are all standards!?
Old 02-24-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Jeff said something about Dante interfaces not working well or maybe even not working at all with the Mac Pro 10 GbE ports and that he recommended using a usb network adapter. Kind of sad if that is the case.. how can it possibly not work with something when these are all standards!?
Yup, it doesn’t work at all. I filed a ticket with Audinate almost two years ago, they originally suggested contacting Apple because it was a “hardware issue” (on a brand new MacPro7.1) before admitting they’d been able to duplicate it. There is a new release coming this year with user-mode drivers (required on Apple Silicon) and I’d be surprised if this issue wasn’t also fixed. But I have no inside knowledge.