Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-01-2002, 05:15 PM

Default Re: new ASIO driver for 001 3rd party users?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jayman#9:
I guessing that Digi is in the works for writing a Core audio midi driver for 3rd party apps. Digi was clear on the release of the ASIO drivers that there would be no ASIO for Mac. I'm quite sure Cubase SX for OSX still uses ASIO (not Core Audio). If so, then the 001 won't work in OSX with Cubase. Obviously there will be Logic/001 compatibility. Is Reason, Native Instruments (Pro-52, Kontakt) going to support Core Audio?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Jayman.
you're right, Cubase SX uses ASIO drivers in OS X, but it's not clear how they interface with CoreAudio... and some people are having big problems with them...
http://forum.cubase.net/forum/Forum1/HTML/011328.html
So I guess I have to wait and see whether CoreAudio compatibility alone will allow a 3rd party app to access the 001 hardware. It's probably not high on Digi's list of priorities to write specific drivers for this.
Old 12-01-2002, 05:17 PM

Oh BTW Jayman,
you said "Digi was clear on the release of the ASIO drivers that there would be no ASIO for Mac."
Where/when was this statement, do you recall?

cheers
Old 12-01-2002, 07:16 PM

Hey guys...just so we are clear here....

This thread has addressed several new technologies and kinda smeared the line over what each means....

Audio Units = System level audio PLUGINS that are integrated into OSX

Core Audio = Part of OSX that allows direct communication between external audio devices and the OS. Think of it like an ASIO driver but supported system wide. Once Digi releases CORE AUDIO drivers for the 001...it will be available system wide in OSX as an audio interface. Any program that utilizes Core Audio interfaces will be able to use the 001.

Core MIDI = Same OS integration as Core Audio but it is MIDI. MIDI interfaces and devices are able to be recognized and used system wide in applications that support MIDI.

So you see...we have several concepts here and (from what I've read) only a few of them will apply to PT directly in PT6

Digidesign has stated that Pro Tools LE will continue to use the Digidesign Audio Engine (DAE) as its protocol for audio. Core MIDI is stated as supported. Furthermore, Digi has not said they will support Audio Unit plugins...so that means that RTAS / AS will probably stay the (only) plugin standard for Pro Tools LE.

There was information on the Emagic website that CORE AUDIO drivers will be released so that third party applications could use the Digi 001 interface (like Logic).

I hope this helps...it's just better if we are all speaking the same geekspeak about this new stuff...

Cheers

Old 12-01-2002, 09:30 PM

Kamurah, many thanks!
Obviously I was confused, that info was just what I needed.
Thanks again
Old 12-02-2002, 12:13 AM

I have an old Opcode digi001 driver and the Steinberg ASIO driver. both work with Cubase, reason, and peak. both have a sickening 30+ millisecond latency. have fun with em. Also.. you can not use the digi001 without direct i/o drivers (performer and logic) or asio drivers (cubase, peak, reason, SVP).

Anyone know if we ever got a Sound manager driver for the digi001? hahahahaha. thats funny. why did i even ask?

here they are...
www.crystalclearrecording.com/files/