Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 07-23-2002, 09:59 AM

Default 002 DSP, converters and mic pres

I inquired about the DSP (EQ, dyanmics, reverb, etc.) and mic pres on the "yeah or nay" thread, which seems to be gone so I'm posting it again as a new topic. Sorry if it was answered, but I missed it.

Does anyone know about the quality and usability of the DSP for the 002? I'm wondering what is offered, per channel, and if its the Digirack stuff, or something better. Can the DSP effects be used for tracking or just mixing? How many instances per channel/track? My hope is that if the quality is real good, it could take some strain off the CPU.

What about the quality of the converters? Does the 108db dynamic range spec in the PDF compare with other 96k converters? Can these converters be bypassed if someone wants to use better converters?

I'd also like to know what the mic pres are in the 002. I assume they will be like the MBox, or the Control24, but haven't seen anything to confirm this.

I know some of people are at odds with the 002, and while I think its a good package, its probably better suited for first time PTLE buyers. Firewire and portability is nice, but not an immediate need for me. The cost of an 002 would buy me a real nice mic pre, too. Time will tell how the 002 works out.

regards,
dave patterson / knobville
Old 07-23-2002, 10:21 AM

Default Re: 002 DSP, converters and mic pres

I can answer the DSP question for you, well, kinda. The onboard DSP is only usable when in stand-alone mode. The DSP is not available when the 002 is being used in conjunction with PTLE, it's just a control surface and I/O when you're connected to the computer. This comes from a post from the digi admin on the day the 002 was released - possibly in the 'yay or nay' thread, can't remember for sure. A lot of your other questions have also already been addressed in other posts, but maybe digi deleted them all - try a search for 002, you're sure to dig up some info.
Old 07-23-2002, 02:27 PM

Slim,

Thanks for the tip. I've been checking this forum a few times a day, and some of the posts seem to pop up right after I've posted my question. Bad timing, I guess.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:
just making sure you saw this other active thread:

digi002 standalone internal dsp
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Old 07-24-2002, 12:21 AM

Slim,

Thanks for the reply. I've read a few speculations about the mic pres and converters, but didn't know if any of them were conclusive.

Regarding the DSP only being available with standalone mixer mode, this seems kinda odd. It would seem that the majority of 002 users would use the 002 for recording, not as a standalone mixer. Thus, its almost a waste to include the DSP functions if you can't use it with PTLE.

The PDF doc on the 002 does say the DPS effects are available in the standalone mixer mode, but I assumed they'd be available for recording too. The PDF also says it offers "snapshots"; which would be handy for recording.

Old 07-24-2002, 12:26 AM

just making sure you saw this other active thread:

digi002 standalone internal dsp