How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 05-13-2023, 05:08 AM

Default Selecting a clip part on all tracks optionally including rulers

Hi boys,

A little - since 25 years and ongoing - energy waster:

For example, when I want to multiply a part of a song and then multi-select a clip part throughout all tracks pushing Alt + Shift + Grabber Tool click on a clip, the rulers won't be included in my selection. I have to do it manually as extra moves. Sometimes I need Tempo ruler only, some times also Markers, sometimes everything.

1. Is there any combination to make a "Totally everything" multi-selection throughout the tracks?
2. Is there any combination to make a Ruler selective multi-selection throughout the tracks?

Regards!
Old 05-13-2023, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Selecting a clip part on all tracks optionally including rulers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalVortex View Post
Hi boys,

For example, when I want to multiply a part of a song and then multi-select a clip part throughout all tracks pushing Alt + Shift + Grabber Tool click on a clip, the rulers won't be included in my selection. I have to do it manually as extra moves. Sometimes I need Tempo ruler only, some times also Markers, sometimes everything.

1. Is there any combination to make a "Totally everything" multi-selection throughout the tracks?
2. Is there any combination to make a Ruler selective multi-selection throughout the tracks?

Regards!
Have you tried making the selection on the timeline ruler? This will make the selection across all tracks.

Also, if you have Link Timeline and Edit Selection turned on, any edit selection you make on tracks will also select the timeline.

You can always add tracks by SHIFT clicking or Command (ALT) clicking non sequential tracks.

Does that give you what you’re looking for?
Old 05-13-2023, 12:19 PM

No no, this is not what I meant. What you are saying is perfectly true, but I already know this. So imagine that you want to do what you just described, but at the same time simultaneously select all other rulers along with it.

Basically, I want to somehow select all the tracks PLUS all the visual rulers with one go without having to first select a part of the song (all tracks) and THEN push Shift, hold it, and klick on desired rulers to match the selection. This is what I always have to do and it's so unnecessary extra clicking...
Old 05-15-2023, 03:02 PM

So? Anyone? This can't be unknown by everybody...
Old 05-28-2023, 03:12 PM

This sucks. I don't get how this isn't an obvious thing to include...

The GPT-4 answer

"Unfortunately, there isn't a single key combination in Pro Tools 12.5 that allows you to make a multi-selection across both the tracks and the rulers simultaneously.

As you mentioned, using Alt + Shift will allow you to make a multi-selection across all tracks, but not the rulers.

To achieve the desired selection, you'll have to follow these steps:

- First, use the Grabber Tool to click on a clip in a track.
- Press and hold Alt + Shift to select clips across all the tracks.
- Release the keys, and then hold down the SHIFT key.
- While holding the SHIFT key, click on the desired ruler (e.g., Tempo Ruler) to add it to your selection.

Unfortunately, there isn't a more streamlined method to achieve this in Pro Tools 12.5."

Imagine that you forget to select any of the rulers you are using in the session while you for example double a song part. Everything becomes a mess if you do.

And other relating ****y thing is, that even though you make the selection the harder way, like I do, and copy a song part, as soon as you undo that step the selection on the rulers disappears and you have to remake it...
Old 05-29-2023, 07:45 AM

I imagine it’s intentional because most of the time when we make a selection using the timeline ruler to “Select All” we don't want to copy the rulers. Unless there is an explicit reason to do so. Thereby forcing you to consciously do it. Just guessing.

You could try making a feature request if you want to brave "Avid Link".
Old 06-05-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Hi boys,

Regards!
I ran across this on the YouTubes today -
The channel is ProTools Services. Search "ProTools tutorial rulers". He demonstrates, check it out.
I do not run 2023.3, so haven't driven this one myself, but it appears to be legit.

In PT 2023.3, Group Attributes has a checkbox to include rulers in a Group.
So:
Modify the All Group to include rulers.
Make selection, everything is selected including all rulers.
Copy, Cut, Duplicate, whatever. The rulers are supposed to be included.

Again, I can't test this, but if you're on 2023.3 (and presumably subsequent versions) you should be able to do what you've asked. However, you may need to uncheck Include Rulers if you don't want that behavior every time.

HTH.
Old 06-12-2023, 11:43 AM

This is great, Bob! This is more or less exactly what I was asking about/for. (Btw, "more or less exactly"... Not a bad oxymoron )

I wonder if the need to group the tracks first is something that is obligatory, or if the guy from the video didn't know if there is a function without grouping. But there is not, as he evidently had to enter the group settings to check the box.

Well, I don't have 2023.3 anyway, so I will continue the suffering

To repeat myself, I don't get how this isn't an obvious thing to be at least included in much earlier versions, to not say be a default function. Well well.

Thanx, man!
Old 06-12-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
This is great, Bob! This is more or less exactly what I was asking about/for. (Btw, "more or less exactly"... Not a bad oxymoron )

I wonder if the need to group the tracks first is something that is obligatory, or if the guy from the video didn't know if there is a function without grouping. But there is not, as he evidently had to enter the group settings to check the box.

Well, I don't have 2023.3 anyway, so I will continue the suffering

To repeat myself, I don't get how this isn't an obvious thing to be at least included in much earlier versions, to not say be a default function. Well well.

Thanx, man!
You're more or less exactly welcome.

One can always ask why their own particular pet peeve exists in the state it does; for me right now, that's the "feature" that when using Dark Mode in OS and PT, the OS-referred menus appear as classic white (think Import Session Data for example).

One of PT's strengths and weakness is that it's so flexible. It works for Post; it works for Music; although neither is really done perfectly without some "customization". I think you've run across one of these.

Regards...