Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-19-2003, 05:23 PM

Default Quickdraw- Need your help with a P4 issue!

I installed 6.1 last weekend. I must say, I love the changes- ReWire is a huge help.

However, since I installed it, I've been getting these errors. I hadn't had this trouble with my previous setup. I read the explanation of the error, but it says nothing about what causes it, or how to remedy it, just a workaround.

I'd like to be able to bounce my tracks normally. Any suggestions?

I have an 002, and a PC with 1gig ram, and a 2.4 P4.

Thanks in advance,

daede
Old 07-19-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Quickdraw- Need your help with a P4 issue!

I'm having the same problem.
Old 07-19-2003, 08:25 PM

Well... can anyone help us?

daede
Old 07-19-2003, 08:57 PM

bassmon,
Are you running a P4 also? This error has been P4 specific. Adding ram and getting rid of program running in the background has helped some. Digi tech support has not been able to pin point the problem yet as far as I can see.

Try this:
Start/Run/type in msconfig and then hit enter/choose Selective Startup/unselect Load Start Up Programs/ Hit enter and reboot computer. When it reboots, select Don't show this again.

Good luck,
Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 09:05 PM

The part I don't get is how my system worked fine before 6.1, and now is problematic. If 6.1 is as new as it is, how could the problem be prevalent enough to already be P4 specific...?

Allen, are you saying that the problem was around before 6.1?

daede
Old 07-19-2003, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daede:
The part I don't get is how my system worked fine before 6.1, and now is problematic. If 6.1 is as new as it is, how could the problem be prevalent enough to already be P4 specific...?

Allen, are you saying that the problem was around before 6.1?

daede
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I actually found one issue on Win ME, the others were all with 5.3. Sounds like a resource issue though as many of them occured during the bounce stage.

Allen
Old 07-19-2003, 09:17 PM

So I guess 6.1 is more strenuous for the computer?

I didn't have this problem once before 6.1.

I guess I'll go try your fix. I was thinking I'd buy a laptop for mobile recording, and would only get 528 megs of RAM. Looks like I'll be needing more, as 1 gig on my main system apparently isn't enough. I just wish there were a more concrete way to fix things. I HATE workarounds [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh well, PT is still a hell of a lot more stable than Cubase ever was. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

daede [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by daede:
So I guess 6.1 is more strenuous for the computer?

I didn't have this problem once before 6.1.

I guess I'll go try your fix. I was thinking I'd buy a laptop for mobile recording, and would only get 528 megs of RAM. Looks like I'll be needing more, as 1 gig on my main system apparently isn't enough. I just wish there were a more concrete way to fix things. I HATE workarounds [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Oh well, PT is still a hell of a lot more stable than Cubase ever was. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

daede [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1GB is plenty. Sometimes the problem has been too much ram and removing 512MB has cleared some problems up with PTLE.

Yes 6.1 is going to be more demanding on the system, especially with the addition of Rewire and if you use Reason simultaneously. I'm interested in seeing how alot of these systems are going to take that. The Macs are coughing and choking already on this.

Allen [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 09:34 PM

Allen-

Part of the problem could be the fact that I'm recording at 24/96.

I tried your suggestion about removing startup programs- no luck.

I guess I'll be following the workaround Digi suggests, which brings me to my next thought- what's the best way to take all these 24/96 tracks I'm creating and dither/assemble them to create a CD? I have Cool Edit Pro, and I guess I could dither it in there, but I never have been satisfied with the processing.

Sigh. Oh well, 6.1 is definitely inspiring creativity- I just wish it wasn't this type of creativity. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

daede
Old 07-19-2003, 09:42 PM

A couple more ideas-

Maybe I should remove a stick of ram and see if 512 works any better?

Also, how would I record the master track so I can retain any master effects?

Thanks Allen for all your help, and TIA to anyone else who chimes in with helpful suggestions.

daede