Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Default Access violation and CFnd.dll - related to Quicktime?

I found a connection between a real pain in the neck access violation error and Quicktime V7.6.5. On my m-powered system, whenever I changed something on the Tempo region, ie. just clicking in the region, I was getting an access violation error, unable to write location ..... error in module CFnd.dll.

I used Process Explorer from Sysinternals and found that for some reason PT was writing in memory where some Quicktime routines were loaded. So I quit PT, simply renamed the Quicktime folder to something else and went back to PT and my previous session. Problem gone and it appears for good. I haven't seen any negative effects on my system yet.

Just posting here in case someone else finds that it solves their access violation error. I am curious to know if this solves the problem for anyone else.

I've gone and tested this with older sessions and the problem appears to be gone. Question, why does PT need to load in Quicktime support files when I'm not doing anything with video?

My system is fully upgraded and working perfectly other than this tempo region error.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 AM

Default Re: Access violation and CFnd.dll - related to Quicktime?

I never have heard a good explanation as to why Quicktime is mandatory. As to whether or not it's actually needed, I can tell you a while back there used to be an issue with PT not saving prefs if Quicktime was not installed. Took a little while to figure that one out.

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...72#post1113672

I don't know if that dependency was ever resolved, so you might want to check. Of course, if you are running with the default prefs, no big deal I guess.
Old 04-11-2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks for replying. I had searched for previous posts but I didn't find anything related but you got me thinking "google".
I did find a note for the LE 8.0cs3 Update from June 9th, 2009.

http://akwww.digidesign.com/index.cf...4&itemid=37956
  • If a session was saved with the Tempo Editor visible but the Tempo ruler hidden, opening that session and then showing the Tempo ruler may cause a crash.

This describes perfectly one of the symptoms, adding as well that if it doesn't out right crash it keeps showing that Access Violation error anytime you do anything with tempo after that first time and then you're forced to exit and start over.

I guess that issue isn't quite fixed after all?

I also wonder if there is a specific version of Quicktime for each release of Pro-tools?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainZagar View Post
Thanks for replying. I had searched for previous posts but I didn't find anything related but you got me thinking "google".
I did find a note for the LE 8.0cs3 Update from June 9th, 2009.

http://akwww.digidesign.com/index.cf...4&itemid=37956
  • If a session was saved with the Tempo Editor visible but the Tempo ruler hidden, opening that session and then showing the Tempo ruler may cause a crash.
This describes perfectly one of the symptoms, adding as well that if it doesn't out right crash it keeps showing that Access Violation error anytime you do anything with tempo after that first time and then you're forced to exit and start over.

I guess that issue isn't quite fixed after all?

I also wonder if there is a specific version of Quicktime for each release of Pro-tools?

Pretty much whatever version of Quicktime was in use at the time that particular version of PT was released.

PT on Windows requires Quicktime because in some ways some of the core PT code is still being tricked into thinking its running on a Mac. Or so I have heard.

I was under the impression that CFnd.dll was related to Pace drivers. In my case I was getting a CFnd.dll file missing error and after a couple of clean PACE/iLok and PTLE installs and uninstalls I searched CFnd.dll on the computer and found several stray/old copies. In my case deleting them all and then doing a clean install of PTLE/Pace/iLok fixed things. I don't know that CFnd.dll is directly related to QT however or just happened to be interfering in your case.

Note to Digi: It would be great to have a list of approved QT versions going back to 5.1 some place.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88