Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-02-2018, 10:25 AM

Default Memory Marker Shortcut?

Hi Everyone,
I'm running Pro Tools 2018.4.0 on Windows 10, on a laptop with no numeric keypad. I'm trying to figure out if there is a keyboard shortcut to add a memory marker. I read it's normally "Enter" on a numeric keypad, but alas my laptop doesn't have that. I've tried every combination of my Enter key and other keys, but nothing seems to work. Will I just have to deal with clicking to add a marker, or is there something I'm missing? I've tried searching on google, but all the solutions seem to be for Mac, and don't appear to work on Windows 10.
Cheers!
Old 05-02-2018, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Memory Marker Shortcut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyFlash View Post
Will I just have to deal with clicking to add a marker, or is there something I'm missing?
There is no workaround.

Most laptops have a numlock feature. With that turned on, a section of keys act as a numeric pad. In that mode, some keyboards will have a key (or enter) act as the num pad enter.

You could also use something like Sharpkeys to remap a keyboard key to the num pad Enter. Basic rundown here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dows-xp-vista/
Usually easiest to remap one of the CTRL, Alt, or Shift keys since there are two on the keyboard. I usually use right CTRL since I normally press left Control for Control.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM

You could buy an inexpensive usb numeric pad.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:05 PM

If your laptop has a function (Fn) key. Try pressing that and the Return key to make a marker. The Fn key might make the Return fucntion as the numeric Enter. It does on a Mac
Old 08-15-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
If your laptop has a function (Fn) key. Try pressing that and the Return key to make a marker. The Fn key might make the Return fucntion as the numeric Enter. It does on a Mac
Thanks for that. Very useful for me as I'm getting more and more into using my old Command|8 together with SSL UC1 to work on mixes without PT on screen.

Another nice trick I just picked up; if you have the cursor in the memory locations timeline, you can tab to the next memory location. Alt/opt-tab to go to previous marker.
Old 08-15-2021, 10:10 AM

Ben, you can also highlight the area between Markers with the same keyboard shortcuts you would with audio, then Shift+; to make that highlighted area include a track or tracks under the Markers Timeline. Then in Shuffle, you can delete that area and the Marker(s) will move up. Great for dropping in Markers for later editing.

Another use for Markers is to put the Grid in Clips & Markers and then you can separate any Clips at the beginning and end of Clips and at Markers.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-15-2021, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Ben, you can also highlight the area between Markers with the same keyboard shortcuts you would with audio, then Shift+; to make that highlighted area include a track or tracks under the Markers Timeline. Then in Shuffle, you can delete that area and the Marker(s) will move up. Great for dropping in Markers for later editing.

Another use for Markers is to put the Grid in Clips & Markers and then you can separate any Clips at the beginning and end of Clips and at Markers.
Thanks, Bruce.
All info welcome, but for me now, I'm mostly digging up old projects to remix, so there is almost no editing. But man, am I having fun using my "virtual SSL 9000" (C8+UC1) to remix the best bands I had in my studio two decades ago. Almost without mouse/screen.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyFlash View Post
...I've tried every combination of my Enter key and other keys, but nothing seems to work...
What laptop model? Have you confirmed the enter key is dead i.e. not working on any/all apps? If the keyboard is damaged, try opening up & clean it, replace it, or add an external kbd. There's a pref in PTools re setting markers. Have you tried that?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-18-2023, 09:19 PM

Does anybody knows a keyboard shortcut for dropping markers during playback when using a MacBook Pro (details in my signature) without a numeric keypad?
Thank you
Pro Tools Studio Perpetual License Version 2022, updated 2023.3.0
Old 04-18-2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelOvni View Post
Does anybody knows a keyboard shortcut for dropping markers during playback when using a MacBook Pro (details in my signature) without a numeric keypad?
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post