Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-19-2003, 02:20 AM

Default A favour - Experienced producers/users only please

Hi,

OK I just bought John Mayers - Room for Squares album, and its fantastic. But it has the exact sort of sound I am trying to achieve. I posted a while ago about getting a really nice sound with the gear we have, in other words, how pro we can get our music to sound with the gear we have. Some said it was possible, and about the ears not the gear, and others said it was about the gear, others said both.

I have a DIGI 002, and waves plugs, and focusrite pres and I want to achieve this sound.

My favour is people listen to Neon by John Mayers and tell me what gear his producer is using, mics, etc, and how they get it sounding so good. I love that sound!!! The drums sounds very clean, and the bass so tight and upfront. What pres would he be using, what mics on the drums, how many mics? Natural reverbs or waves, think he is using ProTools??? Anyone have any links where I can contact this producer, engineer??

This is very important, its the sound Im trying to achieve, your help is MOST appreciated. Have a listen to John Mayers - Room for squares.

Thankyou.

SG

Old 08-19-2003, 03:05 AM

Default Re: A favour - Experienced producers/users only please

In a short: get your self SSL room with 2 inch tape recorder, couple of pro engineers and a experienced producer....that is the way....oh, dont forget about pro musicians and arrangers....

Sorry, I do know I didnt answer your Q, but that is the only answer
Old 08-19-2003, 05:55 AM

Default Re: A favour - Experienced producers/users only pl

Bopsi, that's not a very helpful answer! although I do agree in some respect, although I wouldn't be overly concerned about copying the exact signal path that was used for the recording I would be more interesrted in looking at the source sounds used and then look into the recording chain...An SSL and 2"tape does not make good recordings it adds a character that has a percieved enhancement over the source material but any good clean recording chain will yield good results.
To achieve the type of sounds that your looking for read interviews with the band members as much as you would with the engineer/producer, check out the type of drums and skins used by the drummer and the tunning or tension on the heads what type of kik beater he uses etc.. same goes for the guitar player and bass player what type of amps instruments, strings etc.. even down to pick type and gauge...If you can closely recreate the sound in the live room using the live instruments then your most of the way there to achieving the desired recorded results regardless of mic pre's, EQ, Reverb and other such mambypamby.....
spud
Old 08-19-2003, 07:59 AM

Thanks to you all, i've posted in the TDM forum also, may even find John Mayers producer!

Well i've certainly plugged Mayer and his CD, but it does sound fantastic, I'd encourage you all to buy it.

Have a listen and tell me what you think of his stuff, and how its recorded, especially the track "Neon".

Cheers,

Stu G

www.johnmayer.com
Old 08-19-2003, 08:12 AM

Default Re: A favour - Experienced producers/users only pl

Why don't you search out the websites of Mix,EQ, Guitar Player or any of the other large music magazines out there regardng guitar or recording. Usually even the guitar magazines have info about some of the recording equipment, but it will at least let you in on what kind of mics and amps were used for the guitar. There probably has been a article regarding this, since he did get pretty big last year. Just order the back issue or some sites let you download the article.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:14 PM

just gotta bump this,

also I record at 48khz, i might start recording at 96khz, might make a difference.

SG
Old 08-19-2003, 05:42 PM

Ok enough said, found the perfect article.

Check this:

http://www.eqmag.com/0803_Features2.htm

Hehe. Loads of Neve stuff, but more importantly, lots of experience, and time mixing, great guys, especially Alagia.
Old 08-19-2003, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Have a listen and tell me what you think of his stuff, and how its recorded, especially the track "Neon".

i have that album plus another of his, and i'd have to say, i really don't like the way Room for Squares was produced. it's like overproduced, IMHO. if you listen to older albums of his, the ones that have like the exact same songs, they sound alot better.