Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Default How to assign MIDI CC to plugin parameters if no MIDI Learn?

How to assign MIDI CC to plugin parameters, if no 'MIDI Learn' avail?

Is it even possible in Pro Tools?

For RTAS plugins that do not have "MIDI Learn" functionality (nor the right-clicking "Assign" function like that in Xpand), is there a way to assign MIDI CC to the plugins' parameters, so that I can use the knobs on my MIDI controller or Digi 002 console to control them?

I am specifically wondering about my UAD-1 plugins, which are VST-to-RTAS wrapped, but also wonder the same about my Sonalksis and Wave Arts plugs that do not have MIDI Learn..

I went to these instructional webpages so far, but did not find an answer:
www.audiomidi.com/classroom/protools_corner/ptcorner_58.cfm
www.audiomidi.com/classroom/protools_corner/ptcorner_59.cfm
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may0...toolsnotes.htm

Is there a way to directly do this with my Digi 002 console's knobs, or with a standard MIDI Keyboard Controller like my Novation ReMote 49?

My computer info:
ADK Computer
Intel Quad Core 2.66MHz
Windows XP
Pro Tools 7.3.1
4GB RAM
Digi002 console/fader version
No extra hard drives or other peripherals attached, other than monitor/mouse/keyboard, I have a UAD-1 card though, with its 4.7.1 drivers and plugins and VST-RTAS adapter
Old 08-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Re: How to assign MIDI CC to plugin parameters if no MIDI Learn?

you know....oddly enough that is pretty much exactly what I logged in to find out about.

I know you can assign CC's and plug parameters to display an envelope within the edit window for that specific track, but it's pretty tough to do any kind of smooth automation for them. (i.e.: it's easy to draw a line, but very difficult to do any sort of curve, when it comes to manipulating the parameter's line in the track window). That is why I would also like to learn if there is a way to assign those CC's and param's to the knobs on my digi 002. That way, I can just to an automation pass and manually adjust the knob.

I don't know what this "midi learn" thing you mentioned is all about, though.

Please let me know if you find out.

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: How to assign MIDI CC to plugin parameters if no MIDI Learn?

Can you guys point me to a tutorial on the general skill of sending patch or parameter changes to plugins?

I am using Reason and I want to learn how to send a MIDI signal to reason to control a parameter. I use Reason almost eclusively for drums. Example of what im trying to accomplish: I want to turn on the scream module, turn on the overhead mic's only, and give it a big compressed feel, and only for the bridge of a song.

Thanks in advance for your help.
We don't have the user centricity. Until we understand context, which is way beyond presence — presence is the most trivial notion, just am I on this device or not; it doesn't say am I meeting with something, am I focused on writing something. [LIST][*]Bill Gates .NET Briefing Day Speech (24 July 2002)