Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 06:29 AM

Default Pro Tools Qualifications 101 - 310P

Wasn't really sure of the most appropriate board for this topic but...

What are peoples opinions of Digi's Pro Tools Qualifications 101 - 310P.

I've been looking into it and its gonna cost me around 5,250 quid to become a 310P user. Should i even consider spending this amount of money? is it going to give me a considerable (5 grands worth) advantage over other people my age (23) trying to get into the same field.

I already have a sound engineering degree and am struggling to find work.

Has anyone on this board found the qualifications have really got them ahead in their field?

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting a grant or 'scholarship' to take a Digidesign course?

Thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Qualifications 101 - 310P

I dunno... I'm just pissed that only a few months after earning it, my Pro Tools certification is obsolete. hahaha
Old 04-24-2006, 07:48 AM

>> I'm just pissed that only a few months after earning it, my Pro Tools certification is obsolete

Obsolete? Since when does a certification translate into job skills/employment opportunities?

Did you learn the skills and are you a master of your tools?

Good. Ok, now, you're ready to make coffee at just about any studio in the world.

It's too bad these "certification" programs don't teach workflow, how to RTFM, customer service, network admin and computer maintenance and all around being a nice guy/someone that people want to work with... not to mention, there is some art involved in recording. Yeah, forgot about the creative part...

Your "certification" is merely one way to learn a basic (advanced) skillset. Now, go make some coffee and learn how to be a great engineer/producer.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:18 AM

Wow, sensing a little resentment there. Relax, man. I was merely referring to the release of v 7 right after I finished the certification program for v 6.x. Nothing more, nothing less. Anyone with half a brain knows that certification and knowledge/experience have little to do with each other. I'd take someone with 15 years of professional mixing and no certifications over some kid who thinks he's a badass because he has every certification under the sun any day of the week.

The only way to be good at this job is to do it and get the experience. Some clients however will find certifications appealing. It's mostly a gimmick, but a good way to cut out [bleep] in the learning process of knowing a pro application like Pro Tools. Even an experienced user can miss out on vital functions they never knew were there (because most people DON'T read the manual, or they read it the first time but not after upgrades). Mostly it's a quick way for new users to familiarize themselves with the tools. I can know everything there is to know about a hammer but that doesn't mean I know a damn thing about building a house.

If I lived in NY I'd gladly come down and make you coffee for the chance to see how you do what you do. It'll probably take me a decade of working to learn the stuff that pros like yourself have forgotten, but that's the way it goes. We all know nothing compares to experience.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:04 AM

>> sensing a little resentment there

nah... just commenting on the state of how engineers train now vs. 25 years ago... and the reality is that the more things change, the more they stay the same. The learning curve may be a bit steeper now, but the foundation of our work is not all that different... except we need to know 40x the skills.

my cynical post was more a comment on your "obsolete" statement than anything... what is "obsolete" about training? Digi requires "re-certification" every year anyway -- so you are always 12 months away from an "obsolete certification" anyway.

I have albums that have sat in the can for 2 years before release -- are they obsolete?

There is nothing obsolete about your skillset. Be proud that you know more than most... But my other point is that the piece of paper is relatively meaningless -- the training is invaluable, but the certificate doesn't mean much. Can't say the same thing for a Wharton MBA -- that piece of paper is usually worth more than others...

I am a "certified" sailor... I have a bunch of stamps in my log book that say I'm qualified to sail a boat around the world -- but would you be caught dead on bluewater journey with me? Not without a professional skipper along... When I charter, I have never been asked for my papers... only a valid credit card, and they basically can tell in 10 seconds if you can do this or not. Same thing when I put a new assistant into the 1st chair... it's pretty obvious within a few minutes if the engineer can do it (or not).

I just had to comment on the "obsolete" part of your post... I see nothing obsolete in mastering your tools.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:36 AM

From what I understand there are currently two tracks of certification: one being called Second Edition "SE" which still offers certification for PT 6
"TE" is the new version for PT 7 and still is not really available yet. please correct me if this is wrong since I just learned this from my instructors at Video Symphony.

The purpose of this Certification is two fold. By taking the class from a qualified instructor you WILL learn a lot no matter what your experience is. It takes you through every feature of the program in detail. And there is a great printed manual for each level.
This way of acquiring or reinforcing knowledge is invaluable and does not become obsolete.

Second, certification could be useful in some job propects especially teaching. Since the Expert tests are very demanding, anyone passing these tests probably has fairly advanced skills in Pro Tools. I am saying this after having taken all but the 310P classes and finding I benefited greatly from them.