Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-14-2022, 01:44 PM

Default Carbon and Atmos

Hello

is there any plan to use Dolby atmos with Carbon?

thank you
Old 04-16-2022, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Carbon and Atmos

One can mix ATMOS in PT using a Carbon. I was able to bring up a sample training mix in Ultimate 2021.12. One must have at least the Dolby Atmos Production Suite or the higher priced one.

I spent a lot of time configuring it so I could at least monitor in stereo. Not sure how I got it to work. I have not worked out how to monitor in surround, but one should be able to at least assign 8 outs to the physical outs on the Carbon. My initial plan is to somehow do headphone mixes on the Apple Beats Pro.

Hope that helps,
Robert
Houston, TX
Old 04-16-2022, 09:32 AM

The main issue with Carbon is that it can not, at this time, be set up with built in surround monitoring, only stereo. To monitor in surround of any kind, you would need to either use an external surround monitor routing device, or some kind of similar software based solution (i.e., using the faders on your various master bus tracks, etc.).
Old 04-16-2022, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
The main issue with Carbon is that it can not, at this time, be set up with built in surround monitoring, only stereo. To monitor in surround of any kind, you would need to either use an external surround monitor routing device, or some kind of similar software based solution (i.e., using the faders on your various master bus tracks, etc.).
Have you actually tried it with the Dolby Amos Renderer?

It appears to allow one to use various hardware output configs.

And for those that are not aware, Atmos is a lot more complicated than a 5.1 type setup.

Y'all take care,
Robert
Houston, TX
Old 04-16-2022, 04:34 PM

You could use Dolby Audio Bridge (which will eliminate the possibility to use the Hybrid engine) and Dolby Audio Production Suite as your monitor controller, but with only eight physical outputs you'd be limited to 5.1.2.
Old 04-16-2022, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlthermi View Post
Hello

is there any plan to use Dolby atmos with Carbon?

thank you

https://www.avidblogs.com/comparing-...s-mtrx-studio/

Overview

MTRX Studio is a very capable and flexible audio interface. It is designed for the audio professional who needs the ability to interface with other audio equipment in the studio, whether analogue or digital, in a variety of formats. It features a completely configurable software controlled monitoring section that can accommodate any monitoring environment all the way to Dolby Atmos.

Carbon is specifically designed for music production—especially recording musicians and bands. The I/O complement reflects this goal, providing everything that you need to run a recording session without the need for any additional hardware.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 04-17-2022, 02:29 AM

I have the dolby renderer.
The main problem is that I can't configure the carbon outputs. I would like to use 8 adat outputs + 4 analog outputs. (7.1.4).
When you select the Dolby atmos Bridge in the Ptools hardware setup , you don't have access at the I\O of the Carbon anymore.
I'm not sure i can configure it in the Dolby atmos renderer. (or i haven't find it yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by infohou View Post
Have you actually tried it with the Dolby Amos Renderer?

It appears to allow one to use various hardware output configs.

And for those that are not aware, Atmos is a lot more complicated than a 5.1 type setup.

Y'all take care,
Robert
Old 04-17-2022, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlthermi View Post
I have the dolby renderer.
The main problem is that I can't configure the carbon outputs. I would like to use 8 adat outputs + 4 analog outputs. (7.1.4).
When you select the Dolby atmos Bridge in the Ptools hardware setup , you don't have access at the I\O of the Carbon anymore.
I'm not sure i can configure it in the Dolby atmos renderer. (or i haven't find it yet).
If you don't need re-renders, you could try DAB as the PT playback engine, and sets DAB as the DAPS input and the CoreAudio Carbon output as the DAPS output. If that doesn't work, try creating an aggregate device in Audio/MIDI Setup that combines the two.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:07 PM

I think the MTRX uses a special software monitor interface. Can't remember the name at the moment.

Hopefully, the FPGA updatable nature of the carbon will allow them to potentially add support for Atmos even if it's a lower speaker count. I thought the appeal of Atmos was that it would scale depending on the number of available speakers. So 7.1.4 is not required. Just advised, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-17-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
I think the MTRX uses a special software monitor interface. Can't remember the name at the moment.
DADman, which is a software remote (audio does not pass through it). The Dolby Atmos Production Suite has a simple software monitor control built in (audio does pass through it).

Quote:
Hopefully, the FPGA updatable nature of the carbon will allow them to potentially add support for Atmos even if it's a lower speaker count. I thought the appeal of Atmos was that it would scale depending on the number of available speakers. So 7.1.4 is not required. Just advised, but I could be wrong.
True, although more is generally better for mixing (as opposed to end-user listening).