Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 10:21 PM

Default Bank Safing and Clip LED's

Hey group. Doing my first tour with the Profile. Things are working great thus far. I've had quite a few folks come up and talk about the desk.

I noticed something the other day, and I can't wrap my head around why this is happening. On the Control Surface, when I bank safe any of the FX Returns 9-16, the LED turns solid and the "Clip" LED's illuminate. This is odd, because I had thought that a bank safe is a rapidly flashing "Safe" LED. I do not know why the clip LED's are illuminated either. Nothing else on the underlaying banks are clipping either. Any ideas on this?

This only seems to happen with the FX Returns 9-16. 1-8 are fine, and so are the other channels.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 01-24-2011, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Bank Safing and Clip LED's

Hmm...
I would expect the "safe" LED to stay on. That's why I always go to preferences and switch the safe mode back to recall, so I don't have to see the bank safe notifications (not to mention that its important to know what is recall safed).

As for the clip LED, that is normally indicative of clipping on another channel on a different layer, to the best of my recollection, but obviously you're aware of that, so I don't have any ideas there.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 AM

First of all, what's your monitor ( software ) showing you? Is your Bank Safe ( B ) flashing rapidly on those Returns? The same for your Clip indicators - are those channels clipped on the monitor? Is the control surface showing different things than your monitor?

I would check the Recall Safe matrix under Snapshots and see if the FX returns are not in Automation safe all together. If that's the case, even if you put the inputs and returns in bank safe they'll still be safe from automation, and it might show you the static LED. I'm sure you're aware of this behaviour, all three safe modes are available at all times but only one can be selected from Options> Interaction. Creating an Event to toggle the three safe modes comes very handy.
Another thing to check is the safe states of your normal input channels " under "your FX returns. It these are Bank safed it creates a conflict between the two and the normal inputs are getting priority.

Hope this helps,
Radu
Old 01-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Avid

Hey Ken,

What version of D-Show software do you have? This issue was fixed in 2.9, here is the excerpt from the readme.

Fixed: When FX Returns 9-16 are Bank Safed on VENUE Profile, the Hidden Bank Clip LEDs are Always Lit (Item VSW-5739)
The Hidden Bank Clip LEDs will light for any bank safed FX Return channel 9-16, even if a hidden channel is not clipping.

-Mike
Old 01-25-2011, 12:35 PM

As I said previously, no underlaying channels are clipping.

Mike, it is v. 2.8.5...Just waiting on my update. VENUE Support, can you see when it will be mailed out? I had to do a manual registration back in December, and they said it should be mailed out soon. Can anyone give me a status on this? Thanks...

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 01-27-2011, 01:35 PM
Avid

sorry about that Ken.

I looked into it and it turns out your FOH Racks did not get registered so the automatic upgrade wasn't triggered. We've taken care of this and will send the upgrades out today.

-Mike
Old 01-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Awesome! Thanks,Mike!!

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM

Mike-

Just got my hands on the VENUE 2.9 upgrade kits you mailed out. Thanks!