Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2003, 09:13 AM

Default Are Passive Volume Controls Really No Good?

I was just getting ready to build a passive volume control for attenuation of the outputs of my Digi 192 interface. This simple solution would be perfect for me. However, on the Aloha-Audio DACTS stepped attenuator info page they state "We do not recommend passive preamps for studio environments, unless the lengths are under 1 meter and there are no digital transmission lines or computers in the room.)"

See:

http://www.aloha-audio.com/dact-apps.html

Is this true? Is anyone using balanced passive attenuators successfully? With what kind of a set-up. Any problems?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 06-12-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Are Passive Volume Controls Really No Good?

If you splash out $ 500 and use a high quality balanced stepped attenutor you'll get the best sounding volume control for your ProTools with no hum probs period. No one has yet used this type of component in a passive volume control as far as I know. But with a $ 500 component the retail box would probably sport a price tag that would scare most people away. But that doesn't mean you can't do it yourself. It's only a five minute soldering and cigar box job anyway! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

This guy makes stepped attenuators, is very friendly and can help you:

Phil Marchand <[email protected]>

xoxo PV
Old 06-12-2003, 02:18 PM

I use the Coleman M3PH with stepped, passive attenuator (the same one used in the SSL 9K).

Great box.

coleman audio
Old 06-12-2003, 02:25 PM

I made one and it worked perfectly. I used one of the balanced stereo DACT attenuators. I also put it an enormous rack mount unit and milled a 4inch x 4inch aluminium control knob at my brothers factory. It is a very useful bit of gear and if a corporate client ever asks what it is you can tell them is the 'phasovelocoromitoratronorexiflexifier' and has no fewer than 78 russian military valves. They love that **** .
J
Old 06-12-2003, 02:27 PM

http://www.nhthifi.com/pro_product.asp?subjectid=3

You can check out this Passive pot, I think it is around 150.00. I use one made by Niles it works great and it is unbalanced. I would recommend the NHT, being balanced. Mine works fine, I did have a -20db dim switch made so I could monitor at low level and listen with both speakers. The gain is so hot off the 2 buss that the -20 pad allows me to use the pot at a better resolution. I've found the same thing to be true with the Coleman if you are monitoring very quietly.

The passive thing is great and my mixes became more sound over different speakers when I aced my Mackie years ago.

Hope this helps
Old 06-12-2003, 03:47 PM

Ask Nika about the nice self-built box he made..

-dave
Old 06-12-2003, 07:18 PM

Good replies so far but is anyone using an three meter or greater cable from the passive attenuator to the speaker amplification?
Old 06-15-2003, 03:48 PM

I am also interested in building a passive volume box to replace my studio comm. The studio com uses a vca and everything sounds a little too smooth. Also it only quiets the signal down 70 Db, instead of infinity, the way it should be. But the passive project opens a new can of worms. My studio comm has a dim swich, mono switch, and a talkback mic that dims the control room volume. I dont want to give up these conveniences, in persuit of purer sound.
The danish audio connect pva looks great but what about the other pieces. I guess I want a ssl monitor section sitting on my arosy desk, not in a rack. I can't be the only one.
Old 06-16-2003, 10:22 AM

I have the PVC box also. It's great. It's quiet, and it has a LOT of headroom. Both at input and output.