Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 05-11-2000, 09:32 PM

Default SCSI-2 for Yamaha CRW6416

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a SCSI-2 card that is supported by MLCD and the 6416? Will and SCSI-2 work? I have searched the post for any advice, but have found little mention of a SCSI-2...

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

------------------
Bugsy
Old 05-12-2000, 09:18 PM
Avid

Default Re: SCSI-2 for Yamaha CRW6416

We now distribute the ATTO technologies
Dual port ( EPCI-DC ) and that is a excellent choice for your audio drives and CD buner
because you have two busses and plenty
of PCI bandwidth. The adaptec model you
refer to is not supported "not tested by Digi"
but may work for your needs. Masterlist is only concerned about the CD burner and you must use one from our supported list.
Mj

[This message has been edited by TechSupt (edited May 12, 2000).]
Old 05-13-2000, 04:09 PM

This isn't really a Digi Tech Support response, is it?

How do you know what Mac bugsy has so that you can say that the "Adaptec model you refer to is not supported?" What adaptec does "bugsy" even mention?!

Where's the _real_ Digi tech support?

Anyway...

Bugsy, yer Yamaha will work fine with a Adaptec 2906 (not-bootable) or Adaptec 2930 (bootable), if that's all you want to do...access your CDRW.

Digi, i am sorta peeved-off about the "we do not support so-and-so manufacturer" attitude as of late. Adaptec used to be your buddy.

We've been using the Adaptec 39160 controller with Quantum Atlas 10K drives here with our Mix Plus system. We haven't run into any reliability problems. What's taking so long in "supporting" this setup?
/paul
Old 05-14-2000, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the comments! Err.... What is the difference between bootable and non-bootable? "Adaptec 2906 (not-bootable) or Adaptec 2930 (bootable)"

thanks...

------------------
Bugsy
Old 05-15-2000, 12:09 AM

The 2906 doesn't have a ROM BIOS which means that you couldn't boot from any attached device to it...like a HD or CD-ROM.

The 2930 has a ROM BIOS and therefore the capability to boot.
/paul
Old 05-15-2000, 10:43 AM
Avid

Bugsy & KymataDigital
My mistake on the first question from bugsy
-Yamaha CRW 6416S (1.0b) Digidesign recommended from Digidesign and supported by MLCD. SCSI card to use is a ATTO EPCI-DC
Hope this helps. KymataDigital ask a
question and I will do what I can to provide you with accurate information. Your comments
are appreciated.
Mj
Old 05-15-2000, 08:45 PM

If all bugsy is gonna be doing is accessing his Yamaha CDRW from a SCSI card to burn with MasterList CD, then isn't recommending the ATTO ExpressPCI-DC overkill?

That's like recommending bugsy a Mix Plus if all he wants to do is edit 2-track stereo!
/paul
Old 05-15-2000, 09:18 PM
Avid

KymataDigital
It may be overkill, but that is the only supported one at this time. We will be looking
into supporting other cards in the future.
What is your experience on cards you may have tried? Let us know about what is working out
in the field. If he is just going to run
PT 5.0 LE and MLCD on G4 then the single ended ATTO SCSI( single ) card is a good choice. What do you think? Can you provide some positive information? Paul lets try to provide some assistance and maybe a solution supported or unsupported. I hear you on the Dual port, but the single is a good choice.
Thanks for your input!
Mj

[This message has been edited by TechSupt (edited May 15, 2000).]
Old 05-16-2000, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info fellows...

I should be receiving my Yamaha 6416 in the mail today. Been looking at the SCSI cards at the local CompUSA. They carry both the 2906 and the 2930. The 2930 is an "Ultra SCSI". But the 2906 also supports the SCSI-2 protocol, which is what apparently the 6416 requires:

"Macintosh Computer Requirements: System 7 or higher; Fast hard disk (<19ms access time, 700 KB/sec); Available SCSI-2 controller port; SCSI cable (not included)."

Since I don't have the unit as of yet, I wasn't sure what scsi cable would work. There are many versions of cable.... And no one at CompUSA seems to ANYTHING about this topic! Anyway... the 2906 is 25 pin, and the 2930 is 50 pin. If the Yamaha has a 50 pin female port... then it appears that I am in trouble if I want to go with the 2906. As a 25pin to 50 pin male/male cable doesn't seem to exist! I can't find the info on Yamaha's site on what type input the unit has, or any cable info.

The 6416 will write at 6x. But my cable and card will affect this speed... correct?

I have not heard anyone mention the ATTO SCSI( single ) card on this site? Is this a new card? Where, who, what, when? Also.... I searched for supported cards on the digi site, but could only find a list of supported burners. Where is this page?

Finally, can anyone clear up this cable-card confusion?

Thanks again!

------------------
Bugsy
Old 05-16-2000, 06:44 AM

oh yes... by the way. I should mention that I am speaking of the external 6416... So I need the external cable, which appears to be significantly more expensive. And 50 pin is 4x more expensive then the 25 pin variety.

Finally... my goal is to burn 2 tracks of audio onto a CD. I am seeeking the most cost effective way to get the job done.

thanks,

------------------
Bugsy