Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-09-2022, 05:40 PM

Default PT adding silence at the beginning and end of mp3s

Today I was mastering two songs so that the exported files play right into each other on the playlist, cut right at the zero crossing. I exported wav and mp3 at the same time, and the wav files transition perfectly but the mp3s cause a bump between songs.

Brought them back into PT and zoomed in and found that PT is adding 1201 samples of silence to the beginning and end of the mp3 files. I lost time futzing with this thinking it was user error. Ended up just making an mp3 from the wav using RX9. Also, when I take the cut files from RX and import them back into PT it ADDS THE SILENCE AGAIN... Is this a problem with the mp3 encoder?

Anyone else running into this problem? You can test by importing an mp3 and wav of the same file. Do they have the exact same length? Not here.
Old 04-09-2022, 05:58 PM

Default Re: PT adding silence at the beginning and end of mp3s

This is a perennial topic on DUC, and a known and expected behavior, well discussed in the past. We probably don't need another thread about it. You can search and find all of humankind's knowledge/explanation on this topic.

Google the following

silence MP3 site:duc.avid.com
Old 04-09-2022, 06:20 PM

If you don’t want to go searching and learn about the technicalities, the answer is yes - mp3 encoding will add silence before the file.

This isn’t unique to PT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-2022, 11:47 AM

Thank you. This is my first time experiencing this. For anyone else curious about this, this page explains it well.

https://lame.sourceforge.io/tech-FAQ.txt
Old 04-10-2022, 02:24 PM

That really is a great explanation, better than others posted on DUC that I was aware of. Thanks so much for the link.
Old 05-21-2023, 06:05 AM

About this old problem with a small silence gap in the beginning and end of Mp3 files. Try to insert any sound file and after cuttings always save each file as wav (does not add any silence). So if creating a long soundfile, a seemless musicproject that needs to be cut into different smaller music files with no gaps or silence between them, try this... When all files are edited as wanted, and saved as wav, add them to a converter program and convert them into Mp3, I use Switch Sound File Converter, but it will probably work with others too. For me this have worked fine so I hope it will for anyone else too.

Last edited by DJ Angeli; 05-21-2023 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Clarification