Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2022, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Kudos to Avid for 2022.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
To answer some observations about the windows side of the coin; Sure there are some new features there and the system is mostly stable at its core, but you aren't getting the same level of service that the MacOS gets.
Pro Tools and Windows has always been like a marriage that should have never happened... enjoy while it works.
Old 09-29-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Pro Tools and Windows has always been like a marriage that should have never happened... enjoy while it works.
Agreed. That was a product of "Hey, Apple is leaving Motorola for Intel chips. We can probably use the SAME MACHINE CODE!"

Plus, Apple wasn't exactly kicking it back then. But the consistency of hardware made for an easier testing a compatibility process.

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 09-29-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivekerry View Post
Agreed. That was a product of "Hey, Apple is leaving Motorola for Intel chips. We can probably use the SAME MACHINE CODE!"

Plus, Apple wasn't exactly kicking it back then. But the consistency of hardware made for an easier testing a compatibility process.
It was actually IBM chips, and it made sense as IBM was way behind Intel at the time.
It was a bit of a growing pain moving to Intel. Silicon isn't so bad though.
Almost every plugin
Old 09-29-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
It was actually IBM chips, and it made sense as IBM was way behind Intel at the time.
It was a bit of a growing pain moving to Intel. Silicon isn't so bad though.
I'm not following the technical claim of what Apple leaving the MC68000 family for PowerPC has to do with Windows.

Reusing "machine code" has little to do with making ports of software like Pro Tools easier, it's having to deal with whole new OS and library interfaces that create the complexity, and Windows sucked for audio before ASIO was developed by Steinberg. And to help reduce that porting work Pro Tools was ported off of Mac using Altura's Mac2Win graphics compatibility library, and as far as I know still relies on that (but I've not poked around recently). That's the reason you get both the Pro Tools edit and mix windows within a parent window on Windows. Altura immolated long ago and I assume Avid got to maintain that themselves from source.

And the success at the time of PowerPC in Macs was not purely IBM. Yes Power started at IBM, but Apple was extremely smart to bring themselves and Motorola into the three way AIM design/build partnership. Motorola contributed lots to the design and both Motorola and IBM fabed power chips. Ultimately that alliance had problems, and all three individual companies were having serious problems. And Apple again made a smart decision to bail to Intel. I remember laughing at their Power struggles though my (short lived) MIPS R10000 colored glasses at Silicon Graphics. Apple's long term pragmatism and ability to see through architecture changes is super impressive, combined with some lucky timing.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-30-2022 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:10 PM

But PT was available for Windows years before Apple moved to Intel. It did always seem inferior on Windows, at least until v9.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:10 PM

MIPS R10000 colored glasses
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //
Old 09-30-2022, 12:11 AM

Can’t believe we’re doing the mac/windows thing here. I use PT on both, and it works fine on both. I’m unaware of any operational differences (except that I always get the modifiers wrong for the first hour when switching!)

I don’t feel hard done by as a Windows user. Aux I/O is I think the first thing I’m aware of where there is a functional discrepancy, but I can understand that this is to do with Core Audio so there’s a pretty obvious reason why.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 09-30-2022, 02:25 AM

The fact that Windows has two audio interface protocols(?) while MacOS has just one is enough to piss me off every time I need to use a PC... which is pretty regularly, but not for anything Pro Tools related. There are plenty of trade-offs because of it. You can't use DVS in the same way on PC as you can on Mac, for example.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-30-2022, 03:46 AM

You can use Source Nexus on a PC and have the same functionality as AUX IO

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-30-2022, 07:18 AM

Please Windows 11 aux io next!!